Chapter 41: Free Time

Weekish later

"Look alive people." Clover announces as he and Ironwood enter. The ten of you cease your training and gather around the two of them.

"Seems the training has been going well. Clover wasn't lying when he said you all were making improvements." He says before pulling out his scroll. He taps a few times, causing the election results to appear.

"It doesn't look like things are going well for your old man." You say to Weiss as the polls show Robyn winning, 70% to 30%.

"Better her than him." Yang adds.

"No matter who wins this is going to cause some issues." Blake says.

"Indeed...it will." Ironwood says.

"This could be an opportunity to work with Robyn. To get her and the people of Mantle to trust Atlas. To trust you." Ruby says.

"It's not that simple." He responds.

"I'm sure if you just go talk to her she will understand." Jaune suggests.

"Is there a new mission for us?" Ren asks abruptly, changing the topic.

"That is why we are here." Clover states. "The general and I want you both to take the rest of the day off."

"Why?" Blake asks. "We can just...take time off?"

"Things are going to get busy starting tomorrow." Ironwood says. "Atlas and Mantle will have new leadership and there will be much work to do."

"Dismissed." Clover ends the conversation, both him and Ironwood heading off.

"Does this not seem odd?" Ruby asks once they exit the room.

"I don't like it." You respond. "I understand where they are coming from, but this doesn't sit well with me."

"A break is still a break." Nora says. We all should take one. Besides I'm starving!" The group groans as she begins to talk about food while you all exit the training room.

Two hours later

"Who is it?" You ask after the knocking at your door is finished.

"Ironwood." The voice answers. You sigh and rise, heading to do the door to answer.

"General." You respond. "What can I do for you?"

"Uh...may I enter?" He asks. You nod and he takes a step in as you close the door behind him. "Ahem...I would like to...formally apologize again."

"For?" You ask, knowing why he is here.

"For exploiting your past trauma." He responds. "It was wrong, but you must know I did so out of necessity. We need you back to your highest potential in order to out our plans into action. I'm not asking for your friendship, merely that we can work."

"I understand. I also apologize." You respond. "But you must see that my response was within reason."

"I forgive you...I hope that the only enemy that we both see now is Salem." You nod in agreement before he turns to exit the room.

"One last thing general." You say, causing him to turn his head. "I understand what you are doing for the people of Atlas, but don't forget about Mantle. If she wins, it would be best to work with Robyn to gain their trust." He turns away before answering.

"I know son."

A few hours later

"Come on come on." Yang says from next to you as she mashes the buttons on her scroll.