Chapter 45: Change of Plans

Going off script from the show with stuff from this point for some time. I'm going to do my best to write it in a way that I believe it should have gone. As always feel free to speculate on stuff in comments and what not, but again please remember this is my version of it and do not compare what is happening now in the story to future episodes. Thank you and enjoy.

"I...I understand Winter." Yang turns turn to you as the two of you guard a drop ship. "Ironwood wants us back to meet with us."

"Why? We still have people that need to be evacuated." You respond.

"Winter sounded distraught. I think it would be best if we head up there." You sigh and look around the city.

"His troops should be able to finish the evacuation. Let's go." You load into the ship with the civilians and work your way to the front.

"Can you get us to the main hanger please?" You ask the pilot. "After the civilians are dropped off of course."

"Not a problem kid." She responds as the ship starts to climb towards the floating city. You push through the crowd and rejoin Yang at the back of the ship.

"Seems like the mood is a bit better." She says as the people engage in some light conversation.

"Can't say I wouldn't feel the same." You respond. "Hopefully they are able to get the heat back on in Mantle soon."

"And arrest that bastard Watts." Yang adds. "Would put us one step closer to taking down Salem."

"Well Ironwood said he was going to take care of it so I assumed he is behind bars." The ship begins to slow down, landing in the makeshift refuge area.

"Alright everyone let's get moving." You call as you maneuver to the door. It slides open in front of you and you hope down before turning back to the ship. You take people's hands as they climb down while Yang guides them to where Atlas troops are waiting.

"That's the last of em." She says as walks back over.

"Let's get to Ironwood." The two of you take a short trip to the main military port where more troops are loading into Mantas.

"Hopefully he is in a good mood." Yang says as the two of you reach the doors of the general's office.

"Well here goes nothing." You sigh as the two of you push into the office. The Ace-Ops watch as you two walk in and join Blake, Weiss, and Ruby.

"Where are Jaune, Ren, and Nora at?" You ask Blake.

"They are off checking on Oscar." She responds.

"It seems like everyone is finally here." Ironwood says, facing away from the group of you. He turns in his chair, looking across the room at you all. "It seems that we have been compromised." He says as he places a black queen chess piece on his desk.

"Shit." You mumble.

"She showed this to us at Beacon right before she took it all from us. She has been ahead of us this whole time. Watts has been stopped. Tyrian has been stopped. This was placed in my office to show that what we have done hasn't mattered. What if this was part of her plan?" He stands up and starts to pace around.

"Sir we have Mantle on our side now and now we" Weiss starts.

"Now we have thousands of civilians in Atlas...a giant floating target in the sky." He says.

"We have left ourselves vulnerable trying to ensure all survive." Vine comments.

"She has been ahead of us every step of the way." Ironwood says, slamming his fists down and causing the contents of his desk to fall.