Chapter 19: Journey's Beginning

Alright so something to address. There was never like...a specific time given for time between Volume 3 and 4. I saw somewhere that it was between six to eight months, but there is never like specific times such as "it was three months then" kind of thing. Due to that, I am going to be doing my best to chop up those six to eight months in a way that makes sense to me. I hope that this does not go against anything that has been said and I have not noticed. I know that Ruby said to Winter when Winter arrived at Beacon that "it is fall" and a few episodes before there are trees in the background that a turning yellow and some that are still green. This has led me to the conclusion that it is early fall (say... early September) and then by the end of Volmue 3 RNJR leaves and it is winter. Just before that, the interaction between Ruby and Yang ends with a leaf falling to the ground, so it would be safe to assume that the Fall of Beacon occurs later into fall. BUT, there is no time given for how long Ruby was in a coma. This led to some more digging and it came up that there are no tubes or medical equipment hooked up to Ruby so for her to be able to survive it would be at most a week, but probably only two to three days. Two to three days don't really add much to the timeline so it is still safe to say that it is later in fall (say... mid October...maybe?). A lot of this is just me spit balling and making assumptions (I even spent time comparing the map of Remnant to the World Map and tried to align it with real world places to see how the climates would be the same and get timings based off of that), but I figure that it would be best for me to explain my reasoning, even if it is wrong. Either way, I hope that this does not have too much of an impact on your reading experience.

Also! I want to give you all quick run down of what has occurred since the last chapter up to this point. (Y/N) has slowly started to get back to who they were. Day to day includes training with RNJR, meditating with Ren, and hunting bounties. Training with RNJR has kept him sharp, meditating with Ren has slowly helped him rebuild his mental and accept the world for what it is (though (Y/N) is still not fully over it because...who can get over watching their parents die in only a month), and bounty hunting because...well you will see. You may be thinking: "this seems pretty lazy to do." and honestly, you are partly correct, but the daily life is basically the same throughout the past month. (Y/N) has just been working on rebuilding and becoming who they were as well as accepting everything. The days basically just repeat themselves until this day happens. What happens in this chapter is the first major thing that occurs for (Y/N) during the time between Volume 3 and 4, so that is why there is a big time jump. I hope that you all understand and don't mind.

Early-November

"Got you a hot drink and meal ready for you kid."

"Thanks Richard." You say as you kick the mud off your boots. "The good thing about the seasons changing is that the black of the Grimm stick out more." You say as you walk up to the bar and take a seat.

"Another contract down. You have been a madman lately." The old bartender says as you scarf down a hot bowl of stew. "You holding up well after everything?" You nod your head before responding.

"This helps keep my mind off of things and keep my skills sharp. Plus a buddy of mine has me meditating with him and it is surprisingly working." You reply.

"Well you have been certainly cleaning up lately. Mind if I ask, why have you not been taking payments?" He asks as you quickly eat the mean.

"Kent and I have a deal going and I am going to meet him here later tonight about it. By the way, Kent is meeting me here later tonight. Just as a heads up to have what he likes ready...you know how he gets."

"Oh do I know it." He says with a chuckle. "What is the deal for if you feel like sharing?"

"Just trying to help someone that is important to me...like always. I know that he has a way to get what I need and I did what he needed." You respond as you finish up your food. "I'll be back in a bit to catch him. If I am late, just let him know I will be back soon. See you then." You exit the bar and throw your hood up as rain starts to come down. You walk down the cleared sidewalk until you come to a muddy lane that leads to into the woods. You sigh as you slowly make your way to your old house, retracing the steps you took many times before. Opening the door reveals a the dark interior of the place that you once called home.