Chapter 20: The Long Road

Just a heads up, I am going to be leaving the "Read Me" chapter up until I right the next chapter. I could not find a good way to fit all of that info into this chapter so I will be doing so in the next one. I hope you all enjoy this chapter, are staying safe, and have a great day!

(FBF) - favorite breakfast food

Seven Weeks Later

Your eyes slowly open as a cool breeze sways your hammock from side to side. You look over the edge and towards the ground roughly fifteen feet below. A sigh is let out as you rest your head back onto your pack and stare up at the sky, watching the sun slowly start to rise as the day begins. The squawk of a bird catches you attention and you see a raven sitting on the foot end of you hammock. It stares at you for a while until it flies away, diving towards the ground and then eventually deep into the woods.

"Need to get something to eat." You say to yourself as your stomach rumbles, ruining the peaceful morning. Ten minutes pass and you hop down from a branch, landing softly as the snow breaks your fall. You look down at your scroll to check the time.

"7:47...the town should be coming to life soon. Is going to be good to see some people after wandering around alone for the past few weeks." You stare at the screen for a while longer, a picture of you and your friends from the beach day looks back at you. "Damn I miss them." You say with a sigh. Your eyes shift and you focus on blonde with her arms wrapped around your neck, hanging off your back with a bright smile on her face. "Yang..." You feel your eyes get misty, but you shake them away and stuff your scroll into your pocket. You adjust the straps of your pack and start to make your way down the trail towards your destination. As you enter the town, shops slowly start to buzz and the town comes to life. You swing the door of a diner open, a little bell alerting the patrons and workers of your presences. The door slams loudly behind you as you seat yourself at a booth, tossing your bag onto the bench across from you.

"What can I get you started with today sweetie?" You turn and look up at the older lady that is standing next to your booth. "I'll take a coffee please." The lady walks away and you grab a menu and start to browse it. A few minutes pass by until she returns with a hot cup of coffee.

"Now what would you like to eat this morning dear?"

"I'll take (FBF) and a side of fruit." The lady scribbles down a few things on a notepad and returns to the kitchen of the diner. You take a sip of your coffee and pull out a map of the area to begin plotting today's journey. "Looks like there isn't going to be a town for a while. Should probably stock up on supplies before I leave." The waitress sets down your dish and you dig in, occasionally looking at the map and writing a few things down. After a while, the door whips open and a man barges in.

"Ba...ba...ba" the man says between heavy breaths as he rests his hands on his knees.

"Well come on Nathan what is it?" A waiter asks.

"Bandit attack." The man sputters our before collapsing to the floor, revealing a large gash on his back.

"Get everyone to the back!" The man behind the bar yells. He reaches underneath the counter and soon an alarm starts blaring. You look outside and see dozens of people panicking in the streets, most of them flocking into the closest building that they could find. You push past some people running into the diner to find safety. Guards are running down the path, weapons at the ready as a siren blares. You ready your weapon and take off with them, running towards the woods. The group of you stop at the edge of the town, facing the forest that the path continues on into.

"They will be here soon! We don't have much time men!" A man calls from behind you. From the woods, you start to hear hoots and hollers, as well as gunshots as the bandits approach. You push past the guards in front of you and run into the woods.