Chapter 3: The Emerald Forest

At the launch pads

"Then you will both find the relic and head to the ending platform. And remember, it is very dangerous in there. So try to find each other as soon as you two can. Any questions?" You and Yang look at each others and shake your heads at the head master. You twirl your weapon in your hand as you wait to get launched into the Emerald Forest.

"See you on the other side." Yang says to you with a wink. She gets launched into the air and you hear her screaming with enjoyment. You smirk and feel yourself get hurtled into the blue sky towards the trial. As you are enjoying your ride you realize something as the ground gets closer, how are you going to land. You couldn't use a scythe to swing on a branch or use magic to soften your fall. As you get closer to the ground, you pull our your war hammer and aim the bottom of the handle at the ground. Right before impact, you let out rapid shots and propel yourself back up a few feet and forward where you roll onto the ground and land on your feet.

"Solid landing (Y/N)! " You hear from above you through the rustling of trees. Yang lands next to you and flashes a smile. "Should have seen how Jaune landed his first time. Don't worry, you will meet him later. Come on, I was hoping they wouldn't put the relics in a new spot, but they did so we gotta get a move on." The two of you start to jog off into the woods in search of the relic that you needed to obtain. You both slow down and start to walk, trying to get a feeling of the surroundings. 

"Can I ask you something?" You say as you both are looking around from the top of a hill.

"Sure, what's up?" You turn to her.

"Why did you offer to come with me? We just met and you are out here risking your life for me." Yang shrugs and continues to scan the area.

"Just...umm felt like the right thing to do I guess. Since you don't know anyone else really and..." She starts to trail off.

"And what?"

"And...just didn't want you to get hurt I guess. You seem like a cool guy so I thought that it would..." She starts to trail off again. "Can we just drop this okay? We need to focus." She puts on a stern expression, but it couldn't cover up the red tint that starts to come onto her face. You smirk and open your mouth to make a comment, but the rustling of the woods behind you cause both of you to quickly stand up and ready your weapons.

"Ready to get your hands dirty? Don't be nervous, just focus and we will get through this. First Grimm encounter is always the worst." Yang says as she cracks her knuckles. You twirl your war ax in your hand and give her a smile.

"Let's get to work." Three beowolfs emerge from the tree line and start to stalk forward. You charge forward, using a shot from your handle to boost yourself into the air, and flip down and drive the ax end of your weapon into the back, unarmored portion of the head of the Grimm monster as Yang delivers blows into its side. You jump from the now dead monster's neck and you and Yang run to the next victim. The beowolf stands on its hind legs, so you slide underneath it and slice the back legs with the ax head. The monster starts to fall backwards and Yang flies down from the sky and drives a punch into the chin of the monster, creating a crater in the ground from the impact. You turn in time to see the third beowolf charging at you, but Yang steps in-between you two and delivers a vicious upper cut, causing the creature to fly into the air. You jump up, and spin in the air. You connect the hammer head of you weapon with the side of the beowolf's skull and send it flying into the woods. You land next to Yang and throw your weapon over your shoulder.

"Not bad for your first time. Where did you learn to fight Grimm like that?" She asks after giving you a fist bump.

"Ummm...I...my school..." You realize that your performance could give away the lie you had crafted as Yang stands in front of you with her arms crossed, waiting for an answer.