- n i n e t e e n -

"Promises are the sweetest lies."

* * *

When the day was finished, I saw Axel running up to me. He called my name and I turned to face him when he stopped right in front of me.

He glanced at my left hand briefly and when he didn't see the ring, I saw something like relief pass through his eyes.

"Hey uh... I just waned to give these back to you." He said and pulled a few papers from his bag, holding them out to me.

"Thank you for these notes, they helped out a lot." He said smiling a bit when I smiled back, taking them from him and tucking them safely in my bag.

"It's no problem. Let me know if you need any other help." I said and he smiled.

"Thanks..." He said when we stood in an awkward silence for a few moments.

"Uh... How's the uh... wedding coming along?" He asked suddenly and my eyes snapped to his horrified.

"W-what?" I asked baffled.

"The wedding? You said your cousin was getting married." He said and I sighed in relief and smiled, nodding.

"It's going well, I think." I said scrunching my face up when he chuckled at me.

"Must be fun." He said carefully, eyes searching my face when I forced a smile to my face.

"Y-yeah, it is." I said awkwardly when he spoke up.

"Hey uh... I was wondering if we could... I don't know...  do you want to grab lunch with me sometime? Or dinner perhaps?" He said scratching the back of his head nervously as my heart hammered in my chest.

"Are you... Are you asking me out?" I asked carefully when he smiled nervously.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's totally okay of you say no since we don't really know each other that well but I just thought it'd be nice since I've liked you for a while now and I think you're great and all-... Shit, I'm rambling, aren't I?" He chuckled nervously while I watched him with wide eyes.

Is this actually happening?

I watched him utterly shocked while he stood there nervously fidgeting.

"So... what do you say?" He asked when I was pulled back into someone's chest with an 'oof' and the top of my head was kissed affectionately.

"I think that isn't such a good idea, what do you think, darling?" Eros spoke from behind me and my blood froze over as my breath hitched.

"I'm sorry?" Axel said confused, looking between the two of us confused.

"Emerald?" Axel called to me while I tried to calm my racing heart, not daring to turn around.

Did he hear everything?

"Yes Emerald, answer the poor boy, he's waiting for you." Eros challenged darkly and I gulped in fear of what would happen next.

"I-... I-..." I stuttered, trying to say something but nothing came out and Eros harshly grabbed my left hand.

"Where is your ring, darling?" He seethed and Axel heard him, and people had now stopped to look at the tall, dark and handsome man with rapt attention.

"I-In my pocket." I whispered and pulled it out, holding it out to him. 

He grabbed it from me, coming to stand beside me and slid it onto my ring finger, people gasping when they realized what just happened.