- f o r t y o n e -

"Your eyes are the bluest of oceans and I've drowned in them more times than you'd think."

* * *

"Hi Malcolm." I said and saw him grin at me.

"You remember me." He stated and I nodded.

"Of course I do, you're hard to just forget." I added cheekily when his grin grew wider before he peered at the things in my hands.

"What are you making?" He asked.

"Hot chocolate." I said smiling widely when he nodded and took out a pan.

"Let me make it for you." He said but I shook my head.

"That's quite alright, Mal. I can do it." I insisted but he wouldn't have it and raised his brow in question.

"Mal? Is that what we're calling me now?" He asked amused and I realized what I'd just said.

"Oh, I didn't realise I said it, I'm sorry, it must have slipped out." I said sheepishly as he started to pour the milk.

"No, it's alright, I quite like it. Mal. Has a nice ring to it, no?" He questioned and I nodded eagerly, but then pouted when I realized what he did.

"Hey! You distracted me from making it myself." I crossed my arms over my chest while he laughed at me.

"You look adorable doing that. It's no problem, really. Go ahead and sit down." He gestured to the kitchen island and I huffed before sitting on the counter and watched as Malcolm made the hot chocolate.

"Have you always wanted to be a chef?" I asked him after a few moments when he looked over his shoulder at me and smiled.

"I have. I've always loved cooking as long as I can remember." He answered and I smiled at him.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked wand he nodded.

"I do, I have an older sister and a younger brother. My sister is married and has a kid. My brother is still in college." He said and I nodded.

"What about you?"

"Me? I have an older brother who is also married and has two adorable kids, twins, to be precise. And that's pretty much it." I shrugged and watched him nod.

"Do you like working here?" I asked after a second and saw him think before smiling.

"I do, it's quite fun actually. Especially since I love what I do." He answered without hesitation, a smile playing on his lips.

"And you? Do you like it here?" He asked me when I thought about it, a smile creeping up on my face immediately.

Definitely.

"Yeah, I like it here. I've learnt to call it my home now. Never thought I'd say that." I shrugged, looking at my swinging feet when he nodded.

"I get that."

"And do you like the others here?" I questioned.

"Yeah, they're all pretty cool. Although Gio is a bit too formal, don't you think?" He asked when I shrugged.

"I guess his job requires him to be that way." I spoke my mind and watched him think for a moment before nodding.

"You're right, that might be why. Have you met the boss before? You know, Mr. Ricci?" He lowered his voice as if we were talking about a secret and I giggled at him.

"Why are you asking me that? Have you?" I asked when he shrugged.

"I've only seen him once, even that from the side and boy was I scared out of my wits." He shuddered while I cocked my head to a side and frowned.