A Surprising Reunion

March 2008

"What? You want us to sing in Chinese?" Kyuhyun asked.

"That is correct, now that things have calmed down it's time we resume back into business. Like I stated previously Henry and Zhoumi-ssi will join in as part of Super Junior-M." Sooman said.

"But the thing is ajusshi we don't speak Chinese? Siwon hyung is the only one who knows to speak it." Wookie stated.

"I'm well aware of it Ryeowook-ah which is why I put Hangeng-ah into the group. Since he is fluent in both languages, he can help tutor the two while he and Siwon-ssi can help you teach basic Mandarin. I'm not asking you to master the whole language, but in the coming months I expect you boys to learn the language. You're dismissed." Sooman dismissed the boys.

"Where do you think they're at?" Kyuhyun asked.

"My apologies guys, we had to finish a few errands back there." Zhoumi said with a nervous laugh.

Eric certainly remembers Zhoumi who auditioned around the time Super Junior officially debuted. Since he couldn't speak Korean, he rarely got to meet with him, but he was pretty close to Siwon and sometimes saw them hanging out together. He smiled at him, happy to see him once again.

"How's it going Henry?"

"It's been great man, I've been able to make new friends with the trainees. I think Zhoumi and I are graduating from the trainee system." Henry replied.

"That's great we should celebrate then!" Siwon suggested.

And so the boys went to a nearby chicken place to celebrate. They all ordered fried chicken. Eric being a Southern boy was very familiar with the crispiness of the chicken. It's not deep fried like back in Georgia, but it was crispy enough to taste the flavor.

"Mmn mmm they taste like the chicken back in Georgia!" Eric mused at the flavor.

"You really like these so much Eric." Wookie stated.

"Fried chicken is a huge staple in the southern United States. In my neighborhood we make a fusion between Korean and Southern style and they always end up making it perfectly crispy." Eric explained.

"That's right you're from the South. For me I was born and raised in Toronto where there were many Indians and Caribbean people. My mom was Taiwanese and my dad was Cantonese." Henry said.

"That's quite a interesting mix of nationalities. Who would you identify with more?" Hangeng asked Henry.

"I would say my mother because my dad didn't speak Cantonese that often. I mean I heard both languages, but I was taught more Mandarin to communicate." Henry replied.

"What about you Zhoumi what Chinese province you're from?" Asked Hangeng.

"I'm from the Hubei province, a city called Wuhan. I later moved to Beijing to pursue music." Zhoumi explained.

"Wuhan, that's a much bigger city than where I grew up in Mudanjiang."

"THAT'S SO FAR UP NORTH!! WHAT WERE YOU DOING THERE HYUNG!!?" Zhoumi shouted with a stunned expression.

"It's where my family is from. I do have Nanai heritage."

"What's that?" Siwon said intrigued.

"It's a group of people native to Northern China. Think about the Manchus, we're closely related to them. Unfortunately, our people are losing their identity, but I hope to embrace both Nanai and Chinese identity because I believe that both are important." Hangeng stated.

"I think you're on the right track xiongdi." Siwon said in Mandarin, encouraging him.

"Gomaweyo hyungs for the meal. Tomorrow, I begin my first semester." Eric remembered the hassle it was to enroll at such a good university.