A Time of Mourning

January 6, 2014

2013 for Eric was an odd year. While most of his years were filled with active touring and promoting as Super Junior, this year was mostly dormant as both leaders were busy enlisting. With Yesung also enlisting, the group moved away from the scene and focused on individual things with Eric focusing on being co-host of Music Core.

Other than the bombshell courtesy of Sooyoung, things went peaceful. Perhaps the best thing to come out of it was his own brother Eddie moving in with him. After weeks of searching, the brothers finally found the perfect home.

"Thanks big bro for helping find the perfect home. It was such a long haul." Eddie said relieved.

"It's no problem Eddie. I'm just happy you found a place to live." Eric said checking the nice apartment complex. It was pretty close to the Super Junior so if the two wanted to each other it wouldn't be much work.

The brothers most of the day setting the up basic things like furniture to the way Eddie likes it.

"It's amazing how ultra modern Korea is. I would've never imagined in a million years. I would see this." Eddie gasped at such the space.

"I'm tired for today let's watch some television." Eric said as he sat down on the couch.

What he turned on absolutely horrified him to his core.

"Oh my God..."

Breaking News, we report you today that a horrific crime took place today at a local apartment complex. Three bodies were found, one a middle-aged man and an elderly couple. From what I told this appeared to be a murder suicide. The middle-aged man reportibly shot the both of them before shooting himself. There was evidence it was an act of desperation. A note here saying he cannot take care of them." The news reporter stopped for a few seconds digesting the words. The reported showed blurred out images of what looked like dead bodies.

"A murder in Korea? What's going on." Eddie was now curious.

"How awful. How could they do that their parents! Sickening!" Nam said appalled but nothing compared to what was revealed next.

"Mianhe, we just received some information about the identities of victim. The main culprit: Park Yongin, father of famous idol Leeteuk of Super Junior and the elderly couple as his grandparents. Oh my God... W-Who is going to tell him? He's still out there enlisting!?" The woman dropped her papers in shock. The picture of the culprit showed for a few seconds before a photo of Leeteuk showed.

Eric Nam felt his soul leave out of his body. That was nothing he would ever imagine in a million years. His beloved leader lost his family in such a horrid way. He didn't know if Leeteuk was aware of this. The thought of such a horrifying murder spooked him. The thoughts of his own parents flashes and then his two brothers. He was trying so hard to rationalize why this monster did what he did. One conclusion he could of was he lost all will and wanted to take them with him. He seen too many crime shows to know this was personal.

Shock turned into worry as his fatherly senses kicked in. He just had to get in contact with the other boys. He rushed towards his phone and began dialing up the other boys.

"Come on!! Answer!!" Eric said frantically before the phone answered.

"Eric, you picked up! Have you heard the news it's horrible?" Wookie said.

"I know hyung. Is everyone else watching it?"

"Kyuhyun is right here with me and he's just as shocked. I just got a text from Donghae and Sungmin who had a similar reaction. I'm worried about our leader Eric. He's not even here to see this. I don't understand why someone would do this? This is so disturbing!" Wookie cried.

"I know hyung, I know."

Feeling scared, he stayed at his brother's place for the night. He had difficulty sleeping because he the imagine were in his head. He was afraid someone might come after him. His thoughts were all focused on Leeteuk.

"It doesn't make sense. What could cause a man to snap like that. I know the world is crooked but a deliberate act of evil like this? Poor Leeteuk hyung."

The next day the entire SM family saw the news. The ones that knew Leeteuk personally were shocked this happened. Many felt concern for his well-being. For the next few days reports of the murder-suicide would make it to national headlines until Eric couldn't escape from it. Netizens were making crazy theories while some compared the tragedy to the infamous car accident of years ago.

For the next few days Eric remained absolutely silent. He temporarily withdrew from Music Core and spent his days with his brother in relative isolation. Soon enough all the members temporarily withdrew from promotions, instead waiting for their beloved to return for the funeral.

Everybody was outside the checkout including Kibum who stopped his acting projects to reunite with the boys. It didn't take much time to see Leeteuk's devasted face. It was obvious he knew of the murder. The once calm and enthusiastic leader was nothing but a broken shell. His eyes and face were red from crying. Without hesitation they all surrounded him with a warm loving embrace. They stayed like several minutes until they finally let go.

"We're glad you're safe hyung." Sungmin began.

"It's absolutely disgusting what happened. Nobody should ever deserve that fate." Kyuhyun said.

"That is no man he's a monster for what he did!" Donghae clenched his fist in anger.

"That motherfucker deserves to rot for what he did." Eunhyuk cussed.

"I agree that bastard is a disgrace as a father." Kangin said sipping an entire can of beer.

"He's scum of the Earth!" Shindong said in anger.

"You deserved do much better hyung." Wookie said.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through this hyung." Zhoumi said.

"I don't understand why hyung. No matter how I try I just can't. Why does this type of evil exist." Nam cried out hugging him.

"The worst part is your grandparents probably wasn't aware. You told many stories of your father. Needlessly I'm disgusted. He is not a man but a monster. Come let's go through this together." Heechul embraced him.

"Gamsahabnida" Leeteuk said simply.

In the public funeral Leeteuk walked towards the casket of his deceased grandparents and father. Paparazzi as always took pictures of him and the Super Junior members as they demand answers.

"They'll be no questions." The manager said as Leeteuk stood forward to give his speech.

"Wait!." Hangeng appeared in a frantic run.

"HANGENG!?" Nam had his jaws dropping.

"What are you doing here!?" Kangin gasped.

"What on Earth are you doing here?" Heechul demanded.

"Mianhe for arriving so late. I received a call from ajusshi and told me something happened to you." Hangeng hugged his longtime friend.

"You came at an awful time, but I'm happy you're here. Gamsahabnida for coming here for me." Leeteuk smiled joyfully seeing his old friend.

The mood gradually improved as Leeteuk recollected his thoughts for his eulogy.

"My own father was a troubled man throughout his life squabbled by debt. I have many things to say that I can't properly express. Instead of being a loving father, he blamed everything on me for his failures. The last time he spoke he told me I would never amount to nothing that it is my fault for their condition. I just want to say to abeoji you're wrong. I've found people who care for me and loves me for me and I am happy to call them family. As for my Grandparents, I am grateful for the love they have brought me. I'll never forget their loving faces and it pains me that they received this kind of treatment after years of love and affection. I hope they can rest in peace in heaven and God will judge abeoji for the crime he's done. I want to thank the fans for supporting me through this ordeal. I want to take time and mourn peacefully with my boys. I promise when I return, I'll come back stronger for you fans until then I shall end this eulogy gamsahabnida." Leeteuk said with a formal bow as the boys mourned with their leader.