Death of the Professor

Waking up Naruto looked around the room to see he was in a hospital bed. His memory of getting here was quite foggy. The last thing he remembered was his dad giving him a piggy back ride. Sitting up, pain shot through his body causing him to fall back into bed.

"Look like you're finally awake you troublesome blond." Seeing the Nara stir from his chair made the blond smile, "Shika! You're here?! I was so worried."

"Yeah well, I faired better than you did. I had some chakra exhaustion. You though decided to break almost all your ribs, fractures in your arms and legs, and on top of that massive chakra exhaustion."

Rubbing the back of his head Naruto chuckled, "Yeah. I might have over done it!"

A pregnant silence followed as the two boys thought of the day prior. Shikamaru let out a sigh, "Naruto can I ask you something?"

"Yeah why?" Naruto asked but Shikamaru could tell he was nervous. "Naruto I've felt this w-"

"Oh by kami! You're awake!" Mito smashed through the door. Naruto chuckled nervously as she grabbed him, "That fight was insane! How the hell are you so strong!"

"Well it's Naruto of course." Shikamaru fell back in his chair and crossed his arms as he pouted to himself. Being so close to death made him realize he needs to be honest about how feels about Naruto. Whether the Jinchuriki feels the same or not.

"Well I just got lucky. That fight was still out of my league." Trying to down play his near Kage level battle. Shikamaru laughed when Mito smacked the blond in the head, "You fought a tailed beast and won! Don't be humble now!"

"She is right. You should be proud Naruto." Kakashi appeared at the window, "My little team is back together." Everyone jumped from the sudden appearance of the masked man. "I'm glad your all okay. You did well yesterday during the attack."

"How bad was it?" The blond asked. The realization that he was out during the enemy retreat set in. "Overall not to many Shinobi were killed. We lost a few dozen. Dozens were injured, there is one death you three should know about."

All three Genin held their breathe. Tears pricked the edge of Kakashi's eyes, "Lord Hiruzen was murdered by Orochimaru."

Naruto felt his stomach turn. One of the most powerful ninja in the world was killed by his own students. Not to mention what about his grandson. He didn't know Konohamaru that well, and yeah he had a clan but he was essentially alone.

"Sensei. What are we going to do now?" Mito asked confused and scared. "We will celebrate the life of Hiruzen and prepare for the next Hokage. His funeral will be in a couple days. Also Naruto your family should be here any minute."

That made the blond light up his room with a smile. He knew things were going to be tough. With the Third Hokage dead, people were going to want assurances that they will be safe. Konoha was now open for a sliver of weakness. Luckily though they defeated not one but two enemy villages to secure their borders.

"If we would have paid better attention or not allowed the new hidden village than Hiruzen wouldn't have been killed." Frustration radiated from the usually relaxed boy. Kakashi couldn't blame him, his own frustration for not making it to the barrier in time. He and Gai were two of the strongest ninja in the village. If they made it there they could of aided the Hokage in his fight.

A knock brought everyone's attention to the door. Entering the room was Kenshi followed by Sara and Yui. Naruto noted quickly how exhausted Yui's expression was. "Yui? Are you okay?"

Giving him a warming smile before sitting down, "Yeah. In just tired. Lot's of injured I had to deal with."

Kenshi approached the blond and ruffled his hair, "Hey Naruto. How are you feeling. You put up quite a fight." Looking into his dad's eyes he saw relief but something else was there he hadn't seen before.