CHAPTER 54

XAVIER ROCKWELL

If the universe will give me the chance to change one thing in my life, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to think of anything to change. One, I have so many unwanted stuff that I would want to change. And two; I personally think that I'm already used to how life has been fucking me over and over that I'm basically not able to let go of every single emotion that's pent up inside of me. But if I would rephrase the question, it would be a different thing. If there's one thing that I won't change with my current life, that would be my father. I was hoping that he would stay out of my life. He has already ruined everything for me and now he's trying to wiggle his way back when I personally said I don't want anything to do with him. Better yet, I would certainly change the fact that he's my father.

I'm going to be honest with myself, I did not feel any single strike of relief when Coach Millstone revealed to me that my dad called the school to pay for my shit. I felt rather pissed at the fact that he's trying to bribe me with his money. That's how it came across to me.

"Are you the one who called my dad?!" Harboring a pointy tone, I barged inside Principal Sanders' office right after I stormed out of Coach Millstone's. I have every single right to ask this question and I didn't care if I wasn't called in her office.

The principal was just taking a sip of her afternoon coffee, calm and relax. "Well, good afternoon to you too, Mr. Rockwell." Sanders doesn't appear to be surprised at my unannounced appearance even when her assistant tried to convince me not to barge in.

"Answer me!"

"Take a seat, Rockwell and let's have a calm conversation like the civilized human beings we are." She drawled out seemingly unaffected by my pissed off tone.

I took a heavy sigh and I ended up taking a seat. Clearly, the principal's not affected by anything and she won't be even if I'm visibly angry.

"I'm afraid the answer to your query is no. I hate Quinton Rockwell just as you do. I'm pleasantly surprised you didn't clock that the first time. Now, why would I call him?" She looked at me straight in the eye and it was her own way telling me that she's not lying.

"Is it true then?"

"I don't really have any business to do with Quinton. I have long forgotten about his existence. His secretary called me and then eventually transferred me to him. At first, I was skeptical if I would continue with the conversation but he mentioned your name first thing and it got me." Sanders paused to take another long and noisy sip of her coffee.

"Just get to the point already." I spat.

"Yes, what you heard is true. Your father did call and he already paid everything for you, this year and next year. You don't have to worry about anything, Xavier. Your shit of a father still wanted to lookout for you and you should be grateful about that."

"Grateful?" I glared over at her. A big part of me wants to tell her how my dad ruined everything for me and my mom. "Fuck that sh—"

"Hey, language, young man. You are inside my office and I'm the only one who's allowed to say bad words here in this space."

"Why did you let him pay for everything?" I followed up.

"Listen, child. Life is cruel and it only caters for the strong-willed people. When opportunities come knocking on your door, you've got to open that door right away or else, it will find another damn door. I opened that door for you not because I want to meddle with your relationship with your father but because I know you need it."

"That's the point. I don't need his money. I don't need him in my life." I spat out clenching my first under.

"Yes you do, Xavier."