CHAPTER 89

JORDI ADKINS

"Hey mom," With shallow breathing, I began speaking once my mother answered my call. This was going to be the very first time that I'm going to ask permission from her to go to a party without any sort of occasion like a Halloween party and whatnot. "Are you home already?"

"I'm still at work, sweetie. I'm doing some overtime to finish all the jobs before I get off for holiday. My boss is such a whack. he does not want me to go on a holiday without finishing everything. Why? What's the matter sweetheart? Are you in some kind of trouble? Did something horrible happen to you? Do you want me to pick you up?" The woman over the other line went on seemingly rapping everything. She might think she's some kind of Lauryn Hill.

"Mom, calm your ass down. I'm totally fine. Nothing happened." I was looking over at Nikki and Jane and the look painted on their faces was nothing worry. They're probably thinking my mom doesn't want to let me go.

"Oh, so what is it then, sweetheart?"

"I'm with Nikki and Jane right now." I said. In my head, I was already thinking of some ways to glamourize what I'm about to ask.

"Oh, that sounds nice. You're spending time with your ex-girlfriend." My mom replied which immediately irked me. I already told her everything about me and Jane and she's still playing with that ex thingy. As if I would really date Jane. I would never date her unless I go batshit crazy. She's way too clingy and two clingy people are just going to end up clinging to each other ninety-percent of the time. They'll never finish anything in life.

"Mom, I told you already. That was just an act. Me and Jane never ever dated." I replied gritting with such annoyance.

"Oh, silly. I was just playing with you, Jordi. You're way too serious."

"Okay, now quit it. It's getting old just like you."

"Na-ah. You did not just call me that."

"I'm sorry, ma."

"Okay, so why are you calling then? Are you guys hanging out at home?"

"No. We just got out of school. The school play just ended and we are actually thinking..." Someone from the other line decided to distract my mom. I could hear both of them talking about designs using some language that I could barely comprehend myself.

"Sorry, sweetie. I was just talking to one of my colleague. What was that again?"

"Uhm, the three of us, we are actually thinking if we could go out tonight?!" I had to bite my lip right after saying that. I was highly hoping that she would say yes.

"Oh, that's it? Sure thing, sweetie. That's not going to be a problem."

"What, that's it?" I was utterly surprised but most definitely glad that she basically said yes. "Aren't you going to ask where?"

"Where?"

"We are still thinking where to go though. Is it okay if we take a few drinks too?" I followed up and this time, I was a little bit braver to ask her if she's going to allow me to drink. Ninety percent, I was already more than prepared for her say no.

"Just a little." She replied and I was actually quite shocked once again. I thought she's going to start rapping like Lauryn Hill from her generation but she did not.

"Yes, just a little."

"I'm going to trust you on that, sweetie. I'm going to stay late tonight and your dad can cook his own dinner."

"That is if he can cook." I bantered cackling under my breath. I know my father does not cook at all and this is going to be a challenge for him.

"Hahaha, you really got my humor, son. Let your dad cook on his own or he can order delivery if he burns some egg or bacon."