CHAPTER 74

JORDI ADKINS

This year's thanksgiving dinner with our family was promising to be nothing but a boring one most especially when I learned that Xavier had to attend his dad's family dinner last minute. I was really hoping that he would be a great addition to the dining table and his presence would at least provide a timely and healthy conversation. My grandma's no longer here with us and there's without a doubt that me, my mom and my dad are all going to miss her riddled speeches and her five-minute monologues that kept the dinner alive. Those are special and it's not because she's always reading us to filth but she's also expressing how she truly loved and cared for every single one of us and how we could become a better person and how she's thankful for everything. My grandma was a very lovely human being and she had true depth in her. Surely, we all are going to miss that for the rest of our lives. Apart from that, my dad's sister hasn't reached out if she's going to join us this year which will mark her first time being absent. I don't know if she's back on rehab or if she's even in the city to begin with or maybe she'll just show up. She's all over the place. That's just about it. My mom's side on the other hand, they got each of their own shit going on and my mom always tries to invite them but they always decline her invitations.

The day rolled and I was busy helping my mom with everything. There's really not much to prepare mostly because we know it's just the three of us. She cooked a little extra though, just in case there are some dinner crashers out there who'll just show up unannounced.

My dad arrived four hours before the dinner but he was mostly exhausted from his trip that he had to take a nap. By the time he woke up, me and my mom had already prepared everything for dinner. We also have decided to dress up even though we're just going to spend our time home. Maybe we got used to having other people around for thanksgiving.

"Is it just the three of us?" My dad asked taking a huge gulp of water.

"I believe so, yeah." My mom replied. "Jordi's bo—"

I instantly knew my mom was about to spill this tea about Xavier and I wasn't fully ready yet. I had to cut her off. "Ahem..." I reached out and kissed her in the cheek.

"Jordi's friend bailed out last minute."

"Oh, look at you son, inviting friends over." My dad ruffled my hair as he passed making his way towards the dining table. "Ooooh, your roasted turkey looked appetizing this time around."

"Oh, yeah. I spent a good amount of time on that." My mom replied as we both inched our way to our very own spot.

"Remember when you first tried to cook one and it wasn't burnt but it was so raw we couldn't even eat it?" My dad went on purely reminiscing those good times.

"Oh, yeah. Mom really ripped me to shreds but I've already learned my lesson." My chuckled in response.

We eventually started eating dinner and while we were having little conversation about unimportant matters, I was already beginning to wonder if Xavier was having fun. I was greatly disappointed when he revealed to me that he won't be joining us for dinner. Me and my mom were both really looking forward to having him and in a way, I was hoping to come out to my dad too. Xavier's presence and my mom's acceptance with my sexuality was all that I needed in order to open the conversation with my dad. And now, I guess I'm just going to rely on my mom's support.

While we were eating, my mom kept on looking at me and giving hints after hints that I should start talking to my dad about it but I'm a little bit nervous. I know I have already made my mind that I'm going to come out to my father this thanksgiving mostly because my mom already knew about it. Thanks a lot, Michiko. I don't know why this isn't as easy even though I kind of have this pre-existing knowledge that my dad won't mind it just as my mom showed her love.