I'm Headed to The Mountains - Cal Kestis (Fluff)

Summary: You need to rebuild your life. The Empire temporarily stunted it, but they didn't stop it.

•--•

It was one of those nights again. One of those nights where everything seemed beautiful. When the stars shined a little bit brighter and you could see where the sky started to blend into the sun.

You had shuffled on a thick sweater and slipped on one of Cal's ponchos, finding your way on the Bogano grass. It was soft, healthy here. Sure, it often overflowed and was muddy, the water table rarely low. But today, the ground was hard, a sweet Bogano winter where it was never cold enough for snow but cold enough for the ground to chill and the air to dry out.

And the sun setting. Oh, that was your favorite part of the day. The part of the day that told you that you've survived another. Away from the Empire. Away from the corrupt hands of those who snatched your future from the tips of your fingers. You were barely skimming it, the day you had finally won a duel with your master. He was going soft on you--that you had understood. But you had smiled so wide at finally winning.

You realized now that maybe your fingertips hadn't even touched your future as a Jedi, and maybe your nails had grazed it. Before you started biting at them.

Now you fought for your life, the one you weren't supposed to have. Though you, you'd made one of your own. One that neither the Empire nor the Jedi Order would have allowed.

The same life that allowed Cal to sit down next to you, his leg crossing over the other and his hands planting themselves into the hardened dirt behind him.

The same life that allowed your eyes to sparkle when you turned to look at him.

"Maybe we should stay here for the winter," he spoke, head also turning. You never liked the color green too much. But Cal easily changed that for you. He made eye contact with you, and the black of his pupils shed some of the green off his irises while dilating. Maker, his pupils dilated when he saw you. And the way his hair fell into them, tickling his freckles and making his eyebrows twitch in a wince as the tips poked at his eyes momentarily.

You felt out of breath. Like you couldn't speak. Like his beauty was so intense it had snipped your vocal cords and left you a mess, left your lips parted as you stared at him.

"Why?" you asked, voice soft. But if you spoke louder, you might ruin the moment. You might scare him away or blow out the stars that were finally starting to peek through the veil of blue.

The ends of his mouth quirked, crinkling the pale skin beside them. The pink of his lips teased you and poked at your brain in the most endearing way possible.

"Well, I know you like sitting out here and watching the sun set," he pointed out, eyes never leaving yours.

This was your moment. Sure, you had these often, but they belonged to you. The way his eyes smiled belonged to you. The way his lips smiled belonged to you.

You let the silence consume you both. You had no words in return, knowing that Cal didn't mind your quiet. Maker, he wouldn't mind if you never spoke a word to him as long as you kept staring at him like he blended the colors in the sky, like he painted every star, like he set the wind into such a slow motion. He couldn't help it, the way he got so lost in you, and he never seemed to find his way out.

Some days you both were thankful for the Empire. If you weren't allowed to feel this sort of love, you wouldn't be able to handle your hardships as easy. You couldn't imagine a life that didn't allow you to take in his beautiful features like this and feel the tension seep from your body and into the dirt.

You also thanked Cere and Greez for these moments. After a while, it had become apparent that the night started to belong to the both of you. No matter how many times you both meditated and found peace in your minds, Cere could feel the the eye of the storm was found in the bond you shared.

"We could settle down."

Cal's eyes perked at your words. He didn't look any less happy with you, just... shocked. He turned his head to glance at the fading sky. The pink started the disperse into the orange, and at certain angles, the orange melted away.

You cleared your throat softly, "I mean, one day. One day we can find a planet where we can settle down. And we can watch the sunset every night."

Cal looked at you again. And it was silent, but he spoke to you. He spoke through your mind, wordless. You had a force connection, an undeniable one, but even then his words never echoed through your mind. But you knew behind his look, they way his eyes twinkled and the way his body seemed to lean into yours in the slightest.

And we can get married.

•--•