Chapter nine

Alex's POV

My alarm rang waking me up. I grabbed a pair of knee length black Jordan shorts, a black Nike hoodie, tall Nike socks and my Jordan 4's. Yesterday managed to take a pack of biscuits from the kitchen, so I wrapped some of them in paper and placed them in my bag. I slid my bag over my shoulder and left.

During Math, the teacher told us a few important stuff we would need for the test and I was more than happy to know them all. Charlie and I decided not to go to the library for lunch since I was actually planning on eating something. We went to the cafeteria and sat at a table, I took my food out and locked eyes with someone. Jason. As soon as he saw us, he came towards us. I stood up ready to face him, and so did Charlie.

"You, I got suspended because of you, you fucking dyke"

"You got suspended because you acted like an uncultured caveman, not because of me"

"You think you are better than me? You are pathetic. You only have one friend who you cling onto all time and annoy with your presence. You look like a malnourished kid from Africa and you can't even stand up for yourself. Nobody likes and nobody wants to hang out with you because you are not interesting enough to keep them around. You'll never be. You don't even deserve that one friend you have. That poor girl has to deal with you all the time, I actually feel bad for her. You can't even get a girlfriend of your own so you go around harassing people, you are so pathetic and so unimportant that if you went missing nobody would bother to look for you. You are such a waste of space, just kill yourself already." He yelled loud enough for the whole cafeteria to hear him. Everyone was looking at us, laughing.

I couldn't talk. I rushed out of the cafeteria as fast as I could. I ended up at the back yard, I sat against the wall and started crying. He is right, I'm not enough. Charlie came outside.

"Leave" I said between sobs. I didn't want to annoy her with my presence.

"I'm not leaving, I'm staying here with you" she said.

"I want to be alone right now."

"I'm not leaving you."

"Please Charlie."

I couldn't stop crying and I knew that expressing emotions made Charlie uncomfortable. I knew that she had no idea how to comfort anyone.

"Text me if you need anything, please."

I nodded and kept crying.

I was barely breathing, and my throat was sore. I was curled up against the wall.

"Hey"

I heard a familiar voice and felt a hand at my back.

"I saw what happened, don't listen to him okay? He is just an asshole."

"But he is right." I mumbled between sobs.

"What? No, he is not."

"Yes, he is, I'm not enough. I fall short at everything I try, friendships, school relationships. I keep hearing that I should try harder and that what I do is not enough. Even when I'm trying my best, it's not enough, I'm not enough. I am truly useless" I rambled and kept crying.

I felt her pulling me into a hug. My head rested on her shoulder and her hand was running circles on my back.

"Please calm down. That's not true, you are enough, don't ever say that again. You are more than enough. And you are not useless, there are people that care about you. Charlie loves you and cares about you."

The bell rang and I knew I had to go to PE. Ms. Davis helped me up and handed me a tissue.

"Don't listen to him, he's a sour little boy with a fragile masculinity."