Chapter twenty-eight

“Grandma when will I be able to come again?”
“You parents want to spend some time with you, darling, maybe in a month”
“I’m going to miss you. Mum and dad are always working”
“I know, but it’s going to be different this time. They will be home with you more often” “Alex be careful” Grandma yelled. I heard screaming and felt pain shooting through me. Everything went black.

I jumped up from the bed, tears were streaming down my face, I was sweating and shaking.

“Alex, are you ok? What happened?” I woke Athena up again, I couldn’t answer her, I kept sobbing.

“Was about your dad?” I shook my head no, and she hugged me rubbing circles on my back.

A couple of minutes passed, and I wasn’t able to calm down, I just relived the worst day of my life.

“Can I do anything to help?” she asked desperately, and I shook my head no, she pulled me back down and I laid on her chest, I could hear her heartbeat and she was scratching my head, I started to calm down a little but I was still upset.

I got off her chest, and she looked at me confused, I stretched my arm and hugged her, and she came closer and smiled. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep soon.

“I’m sorry for waking you up, I just the worst nightmare.”

“What was it about?”

“It was the day of the car accident” A tear escaped my eyes, but I didn’t want to start crying again.

“Shit” she mumbled.

“Yeah, I just had to re-live the worst day of my life” I looked at her, and she seemed sad.

“I wish I could do something to help you.”

“I don’t think anything can be done.”

“Do you want to talk about the dream?”

“Why not, I’ve shared almost everything with you” I smiled and so did she “We were at the car and me and my grandma were talking when my grandma yelled at my grandpa something, then there were screaming, and I felt pain and everything went black and that’s when I woke up.”

“Shit, is this what happened in the accident as well?”

“Yes” I took a long pause thinking “I thought I distracted my grandpa by talking to him, but looking back at it we didn’t exchange a word through the ride” “He wasn’t really talkative, but he was loving and caring.”

“Well, at least now you see for yourself that it wasn’t your fault.”

“It really wasn’t, I wasn’t talking to the driver, and my parents were the ones that requested I go back to them, I wanted to stay with my grandparents.” I frowned. Everything from that day was a blur until now. All the memories started unfolding. I didn’t remember anything from that day, and the days before, everything was a blur.

“Alex, are you ok?”

“I’m so confused.”

“What do you mean, you are making me worry.”

“It’s not anything bad, but after the accident, everything was a blur, I couldn’t remember what happened that day, nor the previous ones. Only some basics and what I was told.”

“At least now you get some closure.”

“I guess… I don’t think I can go back to sleep.”

“Me neither, how about I go make us some hot chocolate and we go sit at the couch?” she suggested, and I nodded. We got up and she went to the kitchen and I went to the living room.