Chapter fifty-three

The summer passed by fast. Athena and I waited for a month before starting to go out in public. Being in a normal relationship with her was amazing, and I was super excited to do all these new things with her. I was still working at the club on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, and I've been saving up most of my money. However, I had to leave for college soon.

Charlie and I decided to rent a small apartment together as roommates. Athena helped us pick one. She also helped me pack my stuff and move everything.

It was hard starting over and leaving Athena behind. We agreed that she would be visiting once every two weeks, and we would video chat as often as we could.

After three months of back and forth, things started getting hard.

Sometimes she couldn't come due to work and when she did she was too tired to do anything. A weekend every once in a while wasn't enough. We started misinterpreting each other's texts, which led to fights and arguments.

I felt Athena slipping away, I saw her become more distant every time she visited, and there was nothing I could do about it.

One day, I confronted her about it, and we ended up fighting. She said that she needed a break from all of this from me and that it was too much for her to keep up with.

I felt my heartbreaking at that moment, but I couldn't stand the thought that being with me made her unhappy. It was for the best. At least one of us will be happy.

After that, Charlie basically dragged me to a therapists office because she was scared that I might do something stupid.

This time, I was ready to open up. I wanted to get over everything that caused me pain. I couldn't let my past hold me back.

Living with Charlie was fun, and I was happy that I wasn't alone.

After a while, Charlie started bugging me to go out with a girl from my class. I was skeptical at first, but I decided that it was about time I moved on. Athena and I have been broken up for almost five months, and we haven't talked ever since. I decided to also get my license. It was about time.

The driving lessons weren't as stressful as I thought they would be, and they had played a huge part in that. After a month and a half, I got my license on my first try, and my parents got me a small car to move around.

My relationship with my parents was better, they came to visit me twice and they sent me money for rent, bills and everything else I needed. We occasionally talked on the phone, too. Charlie's parents came to visit too.

Once the spring semester was over, we had a month and a half of vacation. Charlie was going to her parents and I was going to stay behind. I was going to be on my own, but I had nowhere else to go. I didn't want to go to my parents' house.

"Bro, I don't want to leave here on your own."

"I'll be fine."

"No, it's sad, plus I want to spend the break with you. You can stay with me."

"I don't want to be a burden, Charlie."

"You are not a burden." She called her mum and put it on speaker. "Mum"

"Yes honey?"

"Alex wants to spend the whole break on her own because she thinks that she's a burden."

"Can she hear me?"

"Yes."

"Good, Alex, pack your suitcase and come over, we'd love to have you here."

"Are you sure Mrs. Williams?"

"Yes Alex, I insist."

"Thank you." I smiled. Charlie talked with her mum a little and hung up.

"Go pack your suitcase, we are leaving tomorrow morning."

I spent half the night packing. I packed a suitcase and a duffel bag

I spent half the night packing. I packed a suitcase, a duffel bag and a backpack with my laptop and a few other things. I went to sleep at around 3.3.

Charlie woke up the next morning at 9.

"Wake up, dude, we have to get going." I got dressed and loaded my stuff in my car. Charlie did the same to hers. We would be going with different cars since I wanted to have the freedom to move around.

I got in my car, fastened my seat belt, checked my mirrors, and looked at a crocheted four leaf clover that was hanging from my mirror. Charlie had gotten it to me as a gift for getting my license. I put on some music and started. Charlie followed right behind me.

It was going to be my first long trip, driving, but I was confident in myself that I could do it.

When we got to her house, her mum was waiting for us outside. We parked and walked up to her. She pulled Charlie into a hug, and I followed right after.

"Oh my god, you've both changed so much."

"Mum it's been two months."

"I know it's been so long." She said, and Charlie and I chuckled.

We took our stuff inside and I got comfortable in the guest room. I emptied my suitcase into the dresser and her mum called us to eat.

She had made lasagna.

"Mrs. Williams, the food is incredible."

"Thank you, and I've told you you can call me Diane." I nodded.

"Yes mum the food is great, I've missed your cooking."

Once we ate, I took a shower, and Charlie and I put on a movie to watch.

"We should go out tonight." She suggested.

"I'm bored and tired, how about tomorrow?"

"Okay, at the gay club?"

"Of course, I'm dying to see Anna and Emma." Once the movie was over, I went to bed, while Charlie stayed to talk with her parents.

I fell asleep almost immediately.

The next morning, Charlie and I went to our favorite Café. The barista remembered us and our orders. It felt nice being back. Everything felt so familiar.

Once we were done, we went back home, ate, and then watched a movie, waiting for time to pass. We started getting ready at around 11.3.

I wore a black cropped top and a pair of oversized light blue jeans. My boxers were showing a little. I added a shoelace instead of a belt to help me keep them up and slipped on my white converse.

Charlie wore a pair of gray oversized cargo pants and a black sleeveless top. We styled our hair and called a cab.

When we got to the gay club, the security at the door recognized me and let us in immediately. I'm glad that we got to skip the line.

I walked around a little. I had missed this place. I went to where Mrs. Peterson, aka Emma, usually hang out.

"Hey." I told her, nudging her arm. She turned around and looked at me surprised.

"Alex, hi. How are you? I haven't seen you in so long."

"I'm good, I haven't been back since I left for college. How are you?"

"I'm good. Nothing has changed."

"How is Anna?"

"She's doing great, wanna go greet her?" I nodded. We walked to her office.

"Hey." I said again.

"Alex, hi" We chatted for a while, and then I headed back to Charlie. Emma and Anna didn't let us pay for our drinks, and they also got us shots.

We danced for a while, and Charlie ended up making out with a cute girl.

We went back home at around 4.