Chapter ten

It was now Friday and the school had just finished; I was waiting for my parents to come for the parents-teachers meeting. I did amazing at my math test, getting an A, but I was absolutely terrified what their reaction would be about my English test. They would get one on one time with every single one of my teachers, and I had to sit beside them the whole time. I knew they wouldn't hurt me in front of people, but still.

When they arrived, they first went to my science teacher. Thank god.

"She's the best student in my class, amazing kid as well, really well behaved and polite. She also got an A+ on my test."

My parents smiled, liking what they heard. Then it was my biology teacher's turn.

"Honestly, she's great, she participates a lot, and she's really well-behaved." Ok, up to that point, everything was going well, but I knew it wouldn't last long. I knew my math, PE, and English teachers weren't as pleased with me as the other two.

"She's a good kid and does well in my class. She got an A on the recent test. I would like her to pay more attention during the lesson though, sometimes she seems a bit absent-minded." I wish he knew that he just signed me up for the death row.

My parents looked at me with a killer look and grabbed me by wrist, basically dragging me to the PE teacher.

"She's great. She tries really hard, and there were times when I was impressed with her. She has made huge progress from the beginning of the year. She's a good kid as well."

My parents thanked her, but her nice words didn't seem to calm them down. My father dragged me to my English class by my wrist, definitely leaving a bruise. They knocked on the door, and she let them in. She looked at all three of us and smiled.

"She's doing well on the class, but there's always room for improvement. She could try to pay more attention during class, which would really help her raise her grade." she said, eyeing me.

"What do you mean raise her grade?" My father asked, and anger has obvious in his voice.

"Well, she got a B- on the test, but I believe she could easily get an A if she starts paying more attention". I clenched my jaw, knowing what was about to come.

"Alexandra, I'm very disappointed in you. We'll have to discuss this at home. It's unacceptable." He said with a harsh tone, raising his voice, Ms. Davis must have noticed my distress because she tried to make things better.

"A B- is not a bad grade, the test surely wasn't easy, and she seemed to have studied a lot. She was just missing a few things that were mentioned in class. Other than that I've never had a problem with her." I knew her words didn't make any difference to my parents, but I appreciate her trying.

"Thank you" my father said, grabbing my wrist, dragging me out of the class.

As we got into the house, he started shouting.

"You are such a failure. A B- ? Do you think we send you to school to joke around with your friends? I've seen rats smarter than you. If you don't do well at school, you won't go far in life. It's not like you're pretty or talented. All you have is school. I'm so sick of you being an ungrateful, lazy piece of shit" he said, punching my face. I tried to run because I knew this time was going to be really bad.

I made it in the middle of the staircase when I felt him grabbing my forearm and pulling me back. I lost my balance and fell down the stairs. I could feel my whole body aching.

"Don't turn your back to me when I'm talking." He screamed and kicked me. He then got on top of me and started punching me. The last thing I remember was my mum shouting at him.