Chapter fifty-two

Alex’s POV

I wore my white short sleeved shirt and my light blue suit pants and matching blazer. I slipped on my white vans and my gown. It was too hot outside for such an outfit, but who cares, I just want to look good. I styled my hair and wore my cap.

Athena had left about an hour ago because she needed to be there earlier. Charlie rang the doorbell, and I walked outside. I sat at the back seats with her while her parents sat at the front. I don’t think that her parents were too excited with me riding along.

They parked at the parking lot, and we made our way to where the ceremony was held.

“I can’t believe you two are finally graduating. It seems just like yesterday when you came over to our house for the first time.” Her mum told me and pulled me into a hug. I relaxed and hugged her back. “I’m sorry about your parents, Alex. I wish I knew earlier.”

“Oh, Charlie told you.”

“She did. I want you to know that we are proud of you for making it through everything and getting accepted at such a college.”

“Thank you, it means a lot to me.” I smiled.

Charlie and I went to our seats and waited for the ceremony to begin. The principal and the teachers started walking on the stage. Athena was gorgeous. She had straightened her hair, her makeup was simple but nice and she was wearing a white pair of pants with a white T-shirt, a mint green blazer and white sneakers.

The principal started with her speech. I looked at Charlie, and she smiled at me.

“We are graduating, bro.”

“We did it.”

I took a quick look around and noticed my parents sitting at the back. I wasn’t expecting them to come, definitely not after the last time we spoke.

They started calling names.

“Alexandra Evans.”

I got up and walked on stage. I started shaking hands with my teachers.

“Congrats kiddo.” Mrs. Peterson said to me.

“I’m so proud of you, Alex.” Athena said and squeezed my hand a little.

I finally got to the principal.

“Congrats Alex, you did it.” She shook my hand and gave me my diploma.

I walked off and waited for Charlie’s name to be called as well.

Once they finished calling names, we heard what the valedictorian had to say and then a little speech from the principal again.

“Congratulations class of 2023” the principal said, and we threw our caps in the air. I caught mine again. Athena and I locked eyes, and she smiled at me.

My parents approached me.

“Congratulations Alex.” My mum said.

“Thanks.”

“I’m proud of you.” My dad added, and I nodded. “You are amazing. You did all of that on your own.”

“I got accepted in college.” Their eyes widened.

“That’s amazing.” My mum exclaimed.

“It really is. Congratulations, Al.” My dad added. “If you need any help finding a place or with the moving, just give us a call, okay?”

“I will.” I smiled. My dad seemed to be doing better every time I saw him. “Thank you for coming. It means a lot to me.” I didn’t think they would come, I didn’t think they cared enough.

“We wouldn’t miss it.” My mum said and hugged me.

Someone cleared their throat, and I pulled away and turned around.

“Congratulations Al.” Athena said and pulled me into a hug.

“I couldn’t have done it without you.” She smiled, and we pulled away.

“Athena, right?” my dad asked.

“Trashy father, right?” She spat, and my dad looked down.

“Fair enough.” He said.

“So, you and my daughter are good friends.” My mum commented.

“Sure.” She shrugged and turned to leave.

I looked at my parents, who were surprised by her behavior.

“Well, we should get going.” My mum said. “If you need anything don’t hesitate to call us, okay?” I nodded.

I watched as they walked away and went to find Charlie. Her parents congratulated me. I looked around, and Athena was talking with some students and their parents.

Emma walked up to me.

“Hey.” I told her.

“Hey. I’m gonna miss seeing you die on PE.” I chuckled.

“I can’t say the same.”

“So, your parents came today.”

“Yes, they did. They are trying to make things right.” She eyed me. “It’s going to take some time.” She nodded.

I chatted with Emma for a while until Athena was done. For the first time, I was able to get in her car without being scared of getting caught. She drove us home, and once we got in, she grabbed me and kissed me.

“We can finally be a normal couple.”

“I know, but I think it’s better if we wait for a while until we start going out in public together. Otherwise, people might realize.”

She nodded understandingly.

“You are right.”

A/N: I hope you are enjoying this story. It still has almost 10 chapters left.