Chapter fifty-six

Alex’s POV

When Charlie woke up, she was excited that we got back together and found a way to make it work.

I spent the rest of the summer at Athena’s house. We went swimming, on bike rides, on picnic dates. We had a lot of fun, and I was bummed that I had to go back to college.

“Come on, doctor, you have to go.” She joked, and I chuckled.

“I’m going to miss you, babe.”

“I’m going to miss you too, but remember that I love you, and I’m just a phone call away.” I hugged her, and we kissed. I got in my car and drove away.

This semester, I managed to get two online classes on Thursday afternoon and leave Friday and Monday completely free. That means that I could go to Athena’s from Thursday morning and leave Monday afternoon. That would give us enough time.

I struggled keeping up with this schedule, but it was worth it, and being with her made everything better. Charlie refused to split the bills in half since I was spending more days at Athena’s. She insisted on paying more, and I ended up accepting it. Gas is expensive, don’t judge me.

Surprisingly, my grades went up, and so did my mood. I kept going to therapy, and I was finally making serious progress. Things had finally started going my way.

Charlie met Athena’s friend, Becky, and they started flirting, so we were both away from home most of the time.

My parents were still trying to fix things. I had forgiven my mum, at least to some extent, but I can’t say the same about my dad. I was still scared of him, and I still saw him as a threat, no matter how much he swore he had changed.

Athena’s POV

Alex was really going out of her way to adjust her schedule in a way that would work for both of us. I made sure that I had breakfast ready for her every Thursday morning so that she could come home and relax before her lesson. I loved her so much.

I was surprised to see how well she was doing in her classes. She had also matured and healed a lot the past year, and I was so proud of her.

Ever since my mum moved closer, we started spending more time together. She was getting stronger every day, and she apologized for everything. I still needed time, but I must admit that I enjoyed spending time with her.

The other day, we went for ice cream, and she handed me some money. At that moment, I felt a part of me heal, as if there was a void that needed to be filled. I had a family again.

Becky started seeing Charlie, and she would call me and tell me about her every other day. Charlie was only an hour and a half away from her, so they saw each other pretty often.

Emma had introduced me to a couple of friends of hers, and I was now part of a friend group, full of queer people. I’ve started feeling more comfortable with my sexuality and who I truly am, and Anna, Emma, and Alex played an important role in that.

Alex and I were planning a trip to Greece. Once she finishes college, it’s going to be a while, but we are both excited, and we have been setting money aside. Alex worked at Emma’s club almost every day during summer break, and she would put most of this money aside.