Chapter fourteen

It was now Monday morning, and I was dreading going to school. I haven't eaten anything for two days, and if I don't eat soon, I'm going to pass out. I've run out of money, and there is no spare change around the house, I'll have to figure something out soon.

At school, it was like every other day, I went to my classes, paid attention, and took notes. I was starving, I've been drinking water for the past two days trying to ease my hunger. During lunch we went to the library as usual. My stomach was starting to hurt, so I laid at one of the couches, as Charlie did her homework. When it was time for PE, I tried to keep up, but I was failing miserably.

"Evans out." Mrs. Peterson said.

"I'm sorry" I said panting.

"Is everything okay kid? You usually kick ass at soccer."

"Yes, everything is fine, I just had a rough day and I'm tired. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it, it happens, now go sit at the bleachers to rest."

"Thank you" I smiled, and she smiled back.

I sat there until the bell rang. I didn't want to shower at school, so I went to Ms. Davis's class. The door was open, so I walked in. She was sitting at her desk with her face in her hands. She seemed stressed. I walked a bit closer, and she looked up with a frown, as we locked eyes she stopped frowning.

"Oh, hey." She said in a soft tone.

"Hey, is everything alright?" She sighed looking down. "What's wrong?" I asked again hoping she would answer me this time.

"I don't know, I'm stressed." She put her head back in her hands and I heard her sniffle. I went to her side and touched her shoulder to get her attention, she looked at me with a sad expression.

"It's okay, you are probably overwhelmed with everything, it happens" I said rubbing her shoulder. " Just close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Focus on your breathing and nothing else" She did as I told her and a after a while she calmed down.

"Thank you." She said. I smiled and nodded before heading to my seat.

The class started soon after. The rest of the students wouldn't keep quiet.

"What's going on, why is no one paying attention?" Charlie asked and I shrugged.

I watched Ms. Davis as she kept scolding students, trying to get them to pay attention, but it didn't help much. They kept acting as if she wasn't even there, throwing paper balls, laughing, chatting. This went on for a while until she snapped.

"That's it, the next person to open their mouth gets suspended immediately. Understood?" She yelled catching everyone's attention.

There was completely silence in the class, and everyone nodded on agreement. I could tell she was furious. We locked eyes and I gave her a sad smile. She sat at her desk and took a few deep breaths to calm down before going back to teaching. I couldn't bare seeing her so stressed out, it must have been like that all day long, for her to snap.

When the bell rang, she walked to her desk and dropped herself on her chair completely defeated. I wanted to go over, but I was too exhausted to do so, plus, my stomach was hurting.

We stayed in silence for about fifteen minutes, both of us were exhausted.

"What's up with you?" She asked.

"I'm exhausted and my stomach hurts."

"Oh" She got up and walked to desk nest to mine. She sat on top of it and I turned to face her. "Have you..."

"No" I cut her off, I already knew what the question was.

"Alex, why?"

"We had nothing at home and my parents have been somewhere all weekend."