Chapter forty-eight

Alex’s POV

The weekend passed by fast. Athena did everything she could to lift my mood, but I was still upset about my fight with Charlie. She has never blocked me and ignored me before. I wasn’t in the mood for anything. I cried when Athena wasn’t around or when she was sleeping, but never in front of her. I didn’t even have an appetite, I was missing my best friend.

On Monday, I was determined to find a way to talk to Charlie.

Once the bell rang, signaling the end of our second class, I stood next to the door, and when she made an attempt to leave, I stopped her. She crossed her hand in front of her chest and looked at me.

“What?”

“Please hear me out.”

“No.” She made a move to leave, but I grabbed her arm. “Let me go, Alex.”

“Charlie, please, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean what I said.” I felt tears threatening to spill.

“I have to go, I’ll be late for class.” She said, shaking her head.

“Fine, go.” I said, dropping her hand. “Leave, like everyone does.” I mumbled. I felt so empty, and all I wanted was to be gone, to disappear. She eyed me and walked away.

I walked out of the school. I needed to be alone, I couldn’t stay there. I went home and dropped on the bed, allowing a few tears to roll down my cheeks.

I hugged the pillow and started crying. Once again, I was proven that you can’t trust anyone. Not even your best friend.

I stayed like that for hours.

I heard the door unlock, and seconds later, Athena walked in.

“Oh, thank god you are okay.” I didn’t turn to look at her. “I thought something happened to you. Why didn’t you answer your phone?” I shrugged.

She walked closer.

“Why did you skip?” I shrugged again. “Baby” She caressed my arm, and I hid my face in the pillow. “What happened?”

“Nothing.” I mumbled.

“Nothing? You expect me to believe this?” I shrugged. “You won’t tell me?”

“What’s the point? One day you’ll leave like everyone else, you’ll just be another person I annoyed with my problems.” I mumbled.

“What are you talking about?” I shrugged. She was caressing my arm. “Will you come with me to the living room?” I shook my head no. “How about I get us something to eat?” I shook my head no again. “Not even McDonalds?”

“I’m not hungry.” I mumbled.

“You haven’t eaten anything in two days. You are going to pass out.”

“I don’t care. It doesn’t matter.” She let out a heavy breath and walked away.

I didn’t go to school on Tuesday, I didn’t even get up from the bed. Exactly the same happened on Wednesday.

Athena’s POV

What happened with Charlie was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It broke Alex completely. She hasn’t moved for the past three days, she barely speaks to me, and refuses to eat. I’m scared, scared that she’s spiraling downwards.

I know that she asked me not to get involved between them, but I knew I had to do something. Charlie was overreacting and was being irrational. I thought about calling her or texting her, but I wasn’t sure what to do.