Chapter nineteen

Athena’s POV

Alex hasn’t talked to me since the day I asked her to stop being my TA, I tried talking to her, but she ignored me and avoided me. She seemed to be doing better, I haven’t noticed any bruises on her, and she seemed happier. Perhaps her parents are still away.

My boyfriend and I have been arguing a lot lately. He keeps making moves on me, but I don’t feel comfortable sleeping with him. I like him, but he annoys me a lot.

For the past few days, I’ve been feeling a little under the weather. On Tuesday, I almost passed out, and when I woke up on Wednesday, I felt awful. I called in sick and went back to sleep.

When I woke up again, I was cold, and my head was hurting. I put on a thermometer, and sure enough, I had a fever. I made something to eat and went back to sleep, I felt exhausted. I kept waking up in the middle of the night.

On Thursday, my throat was tingling, I was dizzy, and I couldn’t stop coughing. I also had a fever. I was exhausted, and I could barely move, I managed to make a quick meal and went back to bed, but I couldn’t sleep. I called my boyfriend to come over, but he said that he couldn’t risk getting sick and missing work. He apologized and hung up.

I thought I was going to die. I tried to sleep, but I kept waking up, I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Tears started rolling down my cheeks, and I started panicking and decided to visit a hospital. I called my boyfriend, but he didn’t answer so I took a cab to the hospital. They assigned me a room, put me an oxygen mask, and I spent the entire night. I managed to get two hours of sleep before I had to go home.

I spent the entire Friday laying around, I was dizzy, and I was still coughing, plus now I had a sore throat. I was too weak to do anything, and that included cooking. The house was a mess, but I couldn’t care less.

I spent the entire Saturday in bed as well. I managed to fall asleep at some point but woke up to the sound of my doorbell ringing. I looked at my phone and it was almost five in the morning.

Alex’s POV

A month passed by, and Ms. Davis and I haven’t spoken since that day, she tried talking to me, but I shut down all her efforts, I felt betrayed, I opened up to her only to push me away the next day.

My parents haven’t been back, but my mum has been sending me 200 dollars a week. Charlie and I have been going out clubbing every weekend and for the first time I felt normal. I was still on top of my class, I was having fun and no one has bothered me in so long. I should be excited that everything was going great but it seemed unreal and I was always worried that something was going to happen. I have gained a little bit of weight , since I started eating more and I must admit it looked good on me. The PE teacher was really excited with the way my body has changed and so was Charlie.

It was now Wednesday and we were on our way to English but as we got there Ms. Davis wasn’t there, instead there was a substitute teacher.

“Hello kids, I will be replacing Ms. Davis for a couple of days.”

“Why, what happened to her?” another student asked.

“Nothing serious, she’s just sick.”

The lesson was alright, he was a good teacher, not as good as Ms. Davis but quite decent.

She didn’t show up for the rest of the week, it was now Saturday and I got ready to go out with Charlie, we decided to go to the gay club again. Every time we went there, I would always end up drunk, making out with some random girl. This time was the same. When I got home there was a car in the driveway. My heart dropped, I knew my happiness wasn’t going to last long, I cautiously entered the house, and I came face to face with me furious dad.