Chapter thirty-two

Athena’s POV

When Alex left my classroom, she looked completely heartbroken. I felt bad for hurting her, but I couldn’t do it. I wasn’t ready and I don’t know if I’ll be.

When she told me that she was moving out, my heart dropped, and I realized that I pushed her away. That was the last thing I wanted to do. The next day, when she came back from the club, she packed her stuff, and Charlie came to pick her up with her car. Everything was gone in less than an hour.

Danielle tried talking to me about Alex. I told her that I helped her out because she had no one else. She asked me if there was something going on between us, and I denied everything. I wasn’t going to admit to the principal that I’m dating a student.

As the month passed by, I felt the distance between me and Alex growing. I wanted to talk to her, to tell her about my day, the funny thing that happened the other day at the supermarket, the bad dream I had, I wanted her to tell me about her new job at the club, something stupid Charlie said, a silly joke, anything.

But I couldn’t. She didn’t want to talk to me. I lost her.

As the realization hit me, I started doing everything I could to get her out of my mind and distract myself. I went out every weekend at the gay club, I drank my ass off and danced with girls, but I also got to see Alex outside of school. Whenever she served us, it was awkward as hell, and I wanted to talk to her, to tell her everything, but I couldn’t bring myself to swallow my pride.

Emma chewed me out for my behavior. She told me that I shouldn’t have hurt her and that I’m an idiot for letting her go. She advised me to swallow my pride and talk to her before it’s too late.

Alex’s POV

A month and a half has passed since I moved out of Athena’s place, we haven’t talked since that day, we weren’t being mean to each other like the last time, I was still drooling over her but I was hurt by her behavior and I have kept my distance, she did the same, I could tell she wanted to talk to me but at the same time she knew she shouldn’t. There was this weird tension.

I’m still busting my ass off at the club, and I’ve been saving some of the money I’m making. I’ve seen and served Athena at the club a couple of times, and it was awkward as hell. There was this weird tension between us, plus she doesn’t tip.

Spring break has started, and I needed it more than anything. The only sad thing is that I was going to spend the whole week alone since Charlie was going somewhere with her family.

It was now Saturday, and I knew I was probably going to see Athena at the club today, maybe if I have time I’ll talk to her, I’ve missed her jokes and to be honest I’ve missed her hug as well. She is probably not as well as she pretends to be. She has been going out and getting drunk almost every weekend, which usually is a sign that someone is going through something.

I started getting ready, I wore my black air forces, a black pair of jeans, and a white t-shirt with the logo of the club, I grabbed my phone and my wallet and left.

 I had gotten used to the all the pushing and the smell of smoke, plus I figured that if I flirt back with the girls I’ll get tipped more, at the beginning I was making 20-40 dollars in tips, but now I’m usually making something between 40-60 per night, especially on Fridays and Saturdays.

I’ve been working for a couple of hours and I’ve spotted Athena, she was with her friends drinking and dancing but this time they had gotten two bottles instead of one and it was only five of them, I told Mrs. Peterson and she asked me to keep an eye on them. I told her about everything that happened between Athena and I, I also told Charlie, and they both tried to make me feel better.