Chapter fifty-nine

The rest of the days passed by faster than I wanted. Athena and I were having a lot of fun in Athens. For the second week, we had planned on visiting an island and staying there. We will be leaving on Saturday.

On Friday, Athena's family had called us over for lunch. We would be spending all day with them, and I was worried after the little chat with her aunt.

"Babe, are you ready?" She asked me.

"No, but let's go."

"Oh come on, it won't be that bad."

"I hope so."

"And if it is, we can always leave."

"Okay."

We called a cab, and it took us to her aunt's house. On our way there, we had stopped at a pastry shop, and Athena had gotten a cake or something like that. She said it would be rude to go with empty hands.

The house was far from the city center.

She took my hand in hers and rang the doorbell.

Her aunt opened the door and said something in Greek. She led us at a yard at the back, where there was a big table and a bunch of people. They started greeting Athena and didn't pay any attention to me. Athena greeted them back, and they chatted. I had no idea what was going on, and nobody thought to include me in the conversation.

After almost fifteen minutes, I nudged Athena's arm to get her attention. She turned to look at me and gave a half smile.

"I'm so sorry, my love, I know you don't understand anything, but half of them don't speak English." I nodded and let out a sigh.

"What do you say, Athena? we speak the English." An old man said, and I tried to hide a smile. Athena chuckled and told him something in Greek.

"I am Babis, Athena is my nice. We are big family." He said to me, and I smiled and nodded. "See? She understand me." He said to Athena, and she rolled her eyes at him. "You?" He asked me.

"I'm Athena's fiancée. We've been together for seven years." He turned to look at Athena, and she chuckled. She translated what I had just said, and his eyes widened.

They started talking loudly to each other, and I was confused about what was going on. Athena was smiling, so they couldn't be saying anything bad.

"Welcome to the family." A younger girl told me, and I smiled.

"Thank you." She hugged me, catching me by surprise.

"I'm Athena's cousin, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Alex."

"Nice to meet you too. How old are you, Alex?"

"I'm twenty-seven."

"Oh, you are only three years older than me."

"You are twenty-four?" She nodded. "You look younger."

"I get that all the time." She groaned.

"You should consider yourself lucky." Athena mumbled, causing me to laugh.

The girl responded in Greek, and they laughed together.

"Oh, my name is Sofia, by the way." I nodded. "Athena and I used to be inseparable before she moved. I've missed her a lot, she was my best friend, and when she came that summer, after finishing high school, we spent every minute together."

"That's awesome." I smiled and gave a questioning look at Athena.

"She knows." She reassured me, and their expressions changed.

"Let's go inside." The girl said and led us to the living room. "One day we got drunk and I asked her what her parents' were doing and she told me everything."

I took Athena's hand in mine.

"I told you because I wanted you to know, not because we were drunk." Athena turned to look at me. "When I got back to the US, she called me almost every day and texted me often. She stopped texting me every day the year I met you, but we kept in touch."

I turned to look at her with a smile.

"Did you tell her about us?"

"Yes, she did tell me. I also was the first person to know that she wasn't straight."

"Sooo, you know everything about us?" she smirked and nodded.

"Bold of you to kiss her."

"It wasn't my fault. She's gorgeous." Athena hit my arm, and her cousin chuckled.

We kept talking for a while until her aunt called us to eat.

After the food, we drank coffee and spent the entire afternoon with them. Thank god for Sofia's company, because almost no one else spoke good English.

When we got home, we packed our suitcases and then went for a drink. The next day we took a bus and a boat and it took us to an island. A rental car was expecting us at the Port.

"Taxi here is too expensive so I rented a car, now we can move freely and do whatever we want."

"Smart move, love." We loaded our suitcases to the car and she drove us to our hotel. It was a really nice hotel by the beach. We went to our room. It was simple but it had a view of the pool and the sea. We changed into our swimsuits and went to the beach.

We spent the rest of our days exploring the island. We went to a lot of different beaches, visited a waterfall, two caves, and took a ferry to a nearby island. We sunbathed, did water sports, and went to a beach party as well.

The food was amazing and we had so much fun. Sadly, we had to go back home because I didn't have any more time off and school was starting, so Athena had to go back to work.

The trip back home was exhausting, we took a plane from the island to Athens and from Athens to Rome and then another one to get back home.

When we got home, we barely made it to bed. We were exhausted.