-Late Night Games-

Zachary tossed and turned in his bed, getting progressively more and more tangled up in his bedsheets as he did so. Dammit, why couldn't he fall asleep? It drove him crazy that he didn't feel tired in the slightest, that he had way too many thoughts swirling about in his mind, that he just felt restless with the faint and eerie feeling of being watched.

He groaned in frustration as he turned to his side again, then back to his stomach when that didn't feel comfortable enough, then onto his back when that didn't satisfy him- then kicking away the thin and useless bedsheet that had bound his legs together uncomfortably amidst his struggle. It certainly didn't help that the air conditioning system of the entire complex was out for the next few hours during this, leaving him sweaty for an hour which was just... uncomfortable.

He sighed in frustration, giving up on trying to find a comfortable enough position to fall asleep in, instead just staring up at the ceiling and letting himself think way too much about all of the things that worried him- the feeling of being watched, if he could really pay off his bills for next month, if he was really getting anywhere in his life with a boring job and a apartment, if Carl was really doing alright being in possession of that damn NES Godzilla cartridge- No, no. He shouldn't be thinking about that.

He sighed, throwing off the bedsheets and sitting at the side of his bed, holding his head in his hands,"Ugh... dammit..." He groaned. He just wanted to get a good nights sleep just once, and he couldn't even have that. He figured that if he couldn't get himself to fall asleep, he may as well stay up until his body decided to let him pass out.

He got up from his bed, rubbing his eyes as he walked over to his dresser and got his NES out from the bottom of one of his sock drawers and grabbed the Legend of Zelda cartridge that Billy had gotten him a long time ago. Sure, he'd beaten the game a few times before, but it wouldn't hurt to play it for a bit until he felt drowsy.

He made his way over to his living room with the NES, the controller and cords that went to it, and the few games that he thought about playing in his arms. He got the NES all set up by the TV and placed the Legend Of Zelda cartridge into the system before plopping himself onto the couch with the controller in hand.

Once the game was booted up and on the title screen, he stopped to listen to the music for just a few minutes before he started his little journey to beating the game once again- selecting a new file and typing in his name before spawning near a cave and getting a sword immediately afterwards, now able to fight off the enemies throughout the levels.

It was actually a somewhat fun distraction from the countless doubts and worries in his mind that kept him from sleeping, Hell, he found himself smiling a bit as he played.
For some reason, he felt... warm and happy inside, a weird feeling of peace.

"Zach?"

He flinched, pausing the game quickly and looking to his side to see Melissa sitting right next to him. How did she...? Wasn't she trapped in the game unless a portal was made, as Acacius once told him?

"What the..?! How are you..?"

"Sorry if I scared you... I was just checking if you were alright." She apologized sheepishly.

"...Oh, alright, I uh... it- it's okay..." He mumbled out as he rubbed his eyes, trying to stay awake. Part of him doubted that Melissa was really there, but another part of him wanted to stay awake if she really was.

"Are you okay..?"

"I- I'm fine, I'm just..." He paused to yawn and stretch his arms for a moment, "...I just couldn't fall asleep."

"Ah," She glanced over at the TV, curious. "What game are you playing?"

"Oh, just replaying some Zelda..." He responded with a small smile.

"The first one?"

"Hm? Yeah... the- the first one..." Zach shook himself as he grew drowsy again.

"Oh, well can I play?" She asked, turning to him with a small smile. "I've never played this game before."

This made Zach smile, or maybe it was just Melissa being there that made him smile? "Sure thing," He passed the controller over to her, she started seeing what all of the buttons did as soon as it was in her hands. she shifted around to sit more comfortably as she played, as she figured out the controls, Zach scooted a bit closer to her.

"So this is for moving... that's for attacking... using the shield... okay, makes sense." She looked up at the screen, "Okay so... what do I have to do next?"

Zach lay on his side, resting his head on her leg, which she didn't seem to mind very much as he started explaining. "Well, I've already got the bombs from the shop to unlock a few dungeons... So what you're gonna want to do next is-"

*****

"That copy isn't 'haunted' or anything?"

"Nope, just a copy that Billy's letting me borrow for a bit" Zachary explained, holding the cartridge in one of his hands.

There was a short moment of silence, both of them awkwardly looking around for a bit, before Zach spoke out.

"...Wanna speedrun the game with me?"

"...'Speedrun'..?"

"Try to beat the game as fast as we can, for fun!" Zach chuckled, the lack of sleep was starting to get to him.

"Sure, why not?" And with that, Zachary put the cartridge into the NES, having Melissa put the Zelda cartridge back with the others on the nearby table, before he plopped back down on the couch with the controller in hand.

And so Zachary began their speedrun- going through Earth and Mars with ease, then letting Melissa go through Jupiter and Saturn with some struggles, then letting Zach have the controller to trek through Uranus and Pluto with some difficulties -and both of their monsters nearly dying. After about three hours of playing through the game for a 'speedrun' challenge that at this rate they had forgotten about, they finally made it to the last world: Planet X.

Zachary passed the controller to Melissa, trying to stay awake. "You want me to go through this one?" She asked.

"Yeah? It's your turn." He tried to give a soft smile. "You kinda deserve to, after all."

She didn't really understand what he had meant by that, and chose not to bother with it as she turned her attention back to the game. The Board of Planet X was one of the smaller boards in the game, but had the toughest and annoying boss monsters- Gigan, MechaGodzilla, and the final boss, King Ghidorah.

Zachary watched through tired eyes as Melissa pushed Godzilla and Mothra through every stage, he was kind of impressed at how good she had gotten at the game -and especially at how good she had gotten at using Mothra, which he had never really gotten good at playing as.

He was a bit more impressed that she was able to beat Gigan as Godzilla without taking too much damage, then she beat MechaGodzilla without losing either Godzilla or Mothra in the fight, he watched wide-eyed as she fought King Ghidorah, losing Godzilla in the fight, then smiled as she finished off the hydra with barely any health left with Mothra. Melissa erupted into cheers and laughter, she picked up Zachary and spun him around in the air,"Yes! We did it! We did it!"

Zach chuckles at first, then starts to laugh just as Melissa sets him back down on the couch with a soft smile. "Sorry about that, I just-"

"It's alright." He assured her. He feels his eyes become more heavy as he starts to succumb to his lack of sleep.

"Getting tired?" He nods a bit as his only response. "Well then..."

He feels her plant a soft and warm kiss on his forehead as he let's his eyes shut and drifts off to sleep. She grabbed a blanket from behind the couch and draped it over him, floating to the center of the room as she feels herself being taken back from wence she came.

She slowly dissapeares in a soft glow of blue light. "Zach, itwas fun to spend some time with you... Sweet dreams..." And with that, she was gone, leaving Zachary all alone, but still smiling from her kindness.

To him, she really was an angel of sorts.