CHAPTER 92

N    A    O    M    I

2 years later ::

★★★★★

"Can you please pass me the file, Naomi." I glanced up from my laptop before looking at Steve.

"Oh, sure!" I said before passing him the file from my table.

"Thanks!" He winked as I smiled before resuming my work.

Steve and Chase are my colleagues, plus they work in a little upper position than me. They are more like a friend to me. They support when required and help me when in need. First, when I joined the company, I didn't know how the work process is here, but they helped me out.

Chase was a happily married man with two kids. I've met them once, the older son, Jasper, and his younger daughter Julie. They both are adorable along with his sweet wife, whereas Steve is single.

I felt eyes on me as I glanced at Steve, who was gazing at me with a smile.
"Anything you want?" I raised a brow.

"Believe me, Naomi, he wants.. ow.. -" Chase was cut off as Steve elbowed him on the stomach.

"Nothing!" Steve smiled.

I shrugged and stood up from my chair when Steve again spoke up,
"Where are you going?"

"Just to take the copies of the reviews I've got." I replied.

"Even I need a coffee, printing room is near to the coffee machine...let me tag along." Steve stood up from his chair as I nodded.
"Do you want coffee, Chase?" Steve asked.

"Nope!" Chase replied with a smirk.

Steve and I made our way towards the corridor. There was a peaceful silence until Steve spoke up.

"So... Miss Nolan.. " My head instantly snapped at him as I glanced at him with widened eyes.

"Why did you call me like that?" I asked as certain past memories crashed down on me.

"Should I not call you like that?" He questioned back with a raised brow.

"No..it's not like that..." I paused and sighed. "Still, why did you call me like that." I asked again.

"Simply!" He replied nonchalantly before shrugging his shoulders.

I smiled as I reached the printing room. I was about to turn the door knob when Steve called me again.
"Naomi!!"

Sighing, I spun around to face him with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to come for dinner with me tonight?" He asked with his fingers crossed on his sides.

"Tonight? I don't think so. I'm a little busy." I smiled softly at him as he pouted.
"But maybe next time..for lunch." I said as his lips tugged up in a smile.

"Sure." He replied and made his way towards the coffee machine.

I exhaled and turned the door knob before entering the printing room.

.................

With my pace faster than ever, I rushed towards the footpath of FL 331879. It was already half past six, and I was late. Steve did offer me a ride back home, but did I really have to refuse it and wait for a bus. Like seriously..

But I don't want them to get closer to me. I don't want them to know me better, neither my place nor my life. I just like to be alone with myself and my...

Finally I reached the door where my happiness was waiting for me. I pressed the doorbell, and after a minute, the door opened, revealing a very sweet Mrs Porter, fixing her thick rimmed glasses.

"Good evening, Mrs Porter." I greeted her with a smile.

"Oh, stop with the formalities. How many times have I told you to call me Nina." She waved her hand dismissively.

"Sorry, Mrs Porter." I said and bit my tongue as she playfully glared at me.

I chuckled in response.
"Come on in, Naomi." She called, but I refused.

"No, thank you. I'm already late. Please call him soon." I gave her a pleady eyes as she huffed before making her way inside.

Mrs Nina Porter was a widow woman in her early fifties. Her house is right beside mine, and she's very...like very sweet. She stays alone in her house, so she herself asked me to leave...

"Momma!!!" I glanced at Hayden, my boy who was running towards me with his small feet.

... Hayden at her house instead of any nanny care center while I'm out at work.

I ruffled his dark brown hair before lifting him up in my arms.

"Did you miss momma?" I purred in his ears as he nodded.

I kissed his cheeks while Mrs Porter was glancing at us with gleaming eyes.
"Thank you so much.. for taking care of him." I expressed my genuine gratitude towards her as she waved it off again.

I made my way towards my home. As I reached the porch of my house, I slowly put Hayden down before digging my hand inside my bag for the keys.

After opening the door to my house, I sighed in exhaustion as it was time to...

Do my house chores..

........

Finally, it was my bedtime. I cracked my knuckles and stretched my arms. Hayden was already asleep with his soft snores filled inside the room. I walked towards the open window to shut it close, but due to some reason, I stood there, staring at the moon and stars shining in the dark sky.

I still verily remember the night I left that house. I had nowhere to go... so on that cold night, I crashed in a hotel. I didn't know where to go.. I didn't wanna face my friends or relatives. I just wanted to be alone with my son. I wanted to live in a place where no one knows me. So that whole night went on with me thinking about where to go. Finally, on my new day, I chose to go to my hometown, where I was born and raised. I chose to come back to Miami, Florida. Not many people knew me here, I stayed in my parents' house alone with my son and I'm happy.

Happy in a sense.. I'm fine, but still a huge part of me is broken... my heart still has a big hole that can never be fixed. My nights are haunted with the memories that I wanna erase, but my past will never leave me alone. I'm tired, but when sleep engulfs me, I see all those horrific scenes that happened two years ago. I didn't know I was crying until I tasted my own tears.

I cluchted my wedding band, which was now encircled around my neck as a pendant within a chain.

I hope you and Hazel are fine..

___________________________

Do you guys remember Steve and Chase from 'loving a liar'??

Quick question:
Apart from Steve and Chase, there is something else common between the two books.. do y'll know the answer? Comment below.

Do share your thoughts about my book.
If you like the story, vote, comment, and share.
Thank you..
❤❤❤