CHAPTER 95

N     A     O     M     I

The table was set with dinner. Steve was sitting across me, and the air was thick with tension.

Thank God I succeeded in putting Hayden into sleep again.

"So you're married!" Steve asked with a smile, but it was not like those smiles that he used to give me previously.

"Yes!" I nodded, averting my gaze onto my lap.

"So you have parted ways but didn't get a divorce." Steve stated as my head snapped instantly at him.

"How do you know?" I asked in disbelief.

He clicked his tongue before a subtle smirk took over his lips. 

"Your wedding band around your neck.." he replied nonchalantly with a shrug.

I clutched my ring as it was displayed. I usually cover it up, but today, I just didn't think about it. I took a deep breath, feeling anxious.

"Before you tell me anything about your feelings, I just want you to know -" I was cut short by him immediately.

I'm glad he did cut me off because I was just blurting things out of nervousness.

"So you know how I feel about you." He smiled, and I was tongue tied.

I usually tend to blurt things out when I'm nervous.  

"Um.." I was flustered as my face reddened.
"I.. I.." My breath hitched as he stood up and walked towards me before kneeling down in front of me.

He kept his hand on top of mine. I wanted to pull my hand off, but his hold was firm.
"I liked you very much, but I didn't recognize when my like turned into love. I don't have a problem with you having a son or about your past. Whatever the is reason behind your separation -" he was interrupted as I abruptly pulled my hand from his hold.

"Don't say anything more. It will only hurt you in the end." I said in haste.

"Why? Are you still in love with your ex-husband?" He asked with a tender look in his eyes.

"He's not my ex!" I blurted, and instantly, my eyes widened.

"So you are still in love with him." He heaved a sigh before passing me a brief smile.  

"I mean... no...it's not..-" I was cut off.

"You don't have to explain!" He breathed with a smile.
"I'll wait for you.." he paused and looked intensely into my eyes.
"... however long it takes."

"But I don't want you to wait.. you should just move on." I whispered, placing my hand on his shoulder.  

"I know you still love him..." he passed me a sad smile and took my hand from his shoulder before giving me a gentle squeeze and clasping it between his palms.
"...but the fact that you still love him can not make me stop loving you." He whispered softly.

I want this end soon... I just can't take it in.

I don't wanna hurt Steve.