CHAPTER 101

H A R O L D

My heavy eyelids fluttered as I heard faint whispers.

"No.. Hoo.. no..!!"

Partially, my eyelids opened at the sound. I glanced at the kids. They were sleeping quietly beside when their soft snores filled in the air. I pushed myself up using my elbows and glanced at Naomi. It was midnight, and the room was dimly litted.

"No... no.... haaa.." The noise was coming from her. She was panting with her chest, heaving rapidly.

Is she... -

Is she having a nightmare???

I gently put Hazel on the bed before removing Hayden's leg above me. In haste, I got up and moved to the other side of the bed where Naomi was lying.

Now I could see her face clearly. Her forehead was covered with beads of sweat. Her breathing was short, and she was muttering something incoherent in her sleep.

"Naomi!!" I patted her cheeks.

Her nightmare got worse as she started trembling and also started shaking her head rapidly.

"Naomi!!" I shook her, but she was not opening her eyes. She was not coming back to her senses.

She tugged my hand and clutched it harder before muttering something, which I couldn't recognize. Her breathing turned shallow, and her heartbeat quickened. Her face was masked with fear and covered with sweat.

I wiggled her shoulder harshly just to wake her up from her nightmare. And it worked. Her eyes snapped open as she looked at me with watery eyes.

She sat straight against the headboard before brushing her hair back and wiping the sweat off her forehead.

"It's okay." I clutched her hand and squeezed it gently in order to soothe her. "Everything's fine." I whispered tenderly to make her feel at ease.

She shook her head vigorously in no before whispering.
"No!!" She looked me in the eyes with her tears streaming down.
"Nothing's fine." She sucked in a breath.
"Every night I'm haunted... I'm terrified.." she exhaled.

"Shhh.." I cupped her cheeks and wiped her tears using my thumb finger.
"Everything's okay."

She subtly shook her head.
"Every night is a torture.. it feels like killed and brought back to life mercilessly. I can't.." she pulled me closer before hugging me tightly with her hands wrapped around my neck.
"I can't live like this anymore, Harold. It hurts.." I wrapped my hands around her, giving her back.