31. the room of the past

Teresa and Thèrèse:

highly disciplined girls

Just like the Gladers, this was a new start for both Thèrèse and Teresa.

Frankly, for one month, both girls were stuck with educations and more scientist stuff. So they're likely to spend more time in the lab. But, surprisingly, there's an arena that not Carter, or Janson, or Ava had mentioned.

The Fighting Arena.

That's where they'll all fights combats; axes, crossbows, guns, swords, bows and many weapons for self-defense. Then, there's karate and taekwondo too. It's only available for teenagers. The Fighting Arena is available for both adults and teenagers.

The Arena also have other martial arts too, such as Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. Not to mention a variety of weapons that can be used in combat like nunchucks, escrima sticks, and machetes. The most interesting thing is that there's no rules in the Arena. So you can do about anything to win a match.

Teresa did try to persuade Thérèse to remain in academics, but the girl simply wouldn't give up, she was adamant on signing up to the fighting arena. And after several days of back and forth arguments, Thèrèse eventually convinced Teresa with her argument: "The Arena is a place for warriors, right? And we're the only girls in the whole Compound who're actually trained to be one. So it just makes sense for us to join and show those boys how we can beat them."

Teresa couldn't really refuse her.

The sight of her friend getting suited up and ready to fight was enough to make Teresa's heart ache.

"I know," she replied, "and I respect that. It's just..." she paused and looked down.  "I know it's different now...but don't you know that you're still my best friend?"

Thèrèse's heart fluttered. The feeling she felt reminded her of the moments she shared with Teresa before they entered the Compound.

"Come on," she replied. "Just come and watch me, okay? You won't have to join if you don't want to. Just come and watch me dominate them first."

Thèrèse's words were so convincing that it was almost impossible to refuse her.

"I've changed, Teresa. Things have changed. How are you going to be flexible in this world if you only knows how to break."

Teresa considered this for a moment before finally nodding her head.

"Okay, Thèrèse. I'll come and watch you in the arena. But only if you make me a promise."

"Anything, my dear," Thèrèse smiled giddily, putting her hand on Teresa's shoulder as they make their way outside the dorm.

Teresa smiled back at her friend. "Promise me that you won't become a completely different person. I know that we're both changing, but no matter what happens, you have to stay the same Thèrèse that I know. Agreed?"

"Promise," Thèrèse said, holding her pinky out. "This seems childish, but whatever." She shrugged.

Teresa laughed as she grasped her friend's pinky.

"It may seem childish, but it's still a promise. Alright, let's get to the Fighting Arena. I don't want to miss a single move that you make. Let me be your personal hypeman, okay?"

"Hell yeah! Watch me beat those guys asses!" Thèrèse exclaimed, as she put her fist upwards excitedly while the both of them walked and take the stairs down.

Teresa couldn't help but feel excited. She had never seen her best friend like this before. Thèrèse was always so studious and smart. To see her suddenly turn into a warrior was quite a surprise.