58. you're my hero, and i love you

From the haunt of the maze, the scorching desert sun filled with danger and cranks. Nancy was forced to cope with many things that many children shouldn't have to experience. She had to go through the scorch and fight many Cranks to survive for her friends and family.

But in the end, she failed to protect Newt, the boy that she thought she could save.

She felt her heart and mind were at a war, one side urging her to grieve and the other shouting at her to not listen to it. She would feel so conflicted with all these mixed emotions inside of her that it would just become overwhelming.

Nancy sat alone that evening – Newt's letter in her hand.

Take care of yourself, grumpy blondie. I love you and kick a man's ass if you should.

Newt's words never failed to bring a smile upon his sister's face. The letter from her brother was the only source of comfort for Nancy, a reminder of his existence and a reminder of what she fought for.

Every word Newt wrote could bring a small, yet noticeable smile on her face, as she was reminded of the person who she's fighting for. That small gesture was enough for her to keep going and keep living, because she knew that he would want nothing more than for her to be safe and happy.

Nancy brushed the scarf on her neck in-between her thumb and index finger. Vicky's scarf. She lightly frowned in sadness. The gesture was a common one for the teen girl, a habit that she picked up after wearing the scarf all the time.

She would find herself brushing the fabric on her neck, the feeling of it was comforting and familiar to her. But underneath that was deep sadness, remembering who the scarf once belonged to and how it was taken away from her in the most unfortunate way possible.

Moon shadowed over the island, Nancy's in her cabin, writing something down on the letter as if she could respond to Newt:

Newt, I miss you so much.
I wish you were here right now,
I wish we could talk about our day
and laugh at the silly things we
used to laugh at. But I know
I can't have that back, but at least
I have your letter. It's like
you're here with me, even if it's just in spirit.

I love you, twin brother.
And I'll kick a man's ass
for you any day.

Love, Nancy.

She wrote that letter with all the love she had for her twin, the love that would never disappear. Nancy knew that the letters can't bring her brother back to her, but at the very least, she can keep up some memories in her mind through it. She wrote those words with all her heart and soul, wishing that her brother could read it himself right now.

Nancy was writing a letter that she knew would never be read by the person it was meant for, yet it still brought her some hope. As if she was connecting with him through these words, even if it was just in spirit.

The letter was filled with her thoughts and feelings, sharing her love for her twin brother and hoping that he was listening to her through these words. She wrote down her wish that he could be present with her again, laughing and sharing their silly moments. But she accepted the reality of his passing and realized that he was only alive in her memory.

Vicky once said—All energy
is only borrowed and one day,
you have to give it back.
So come on home, Newt.
You're my hero, and
I love you.

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝖿𝗈𝗋
𝖭𝖠𝖭𝖢𝖸 𝖲𝖳𝖤𝖵𝖤𝖭𝖲
𝗶𝘃𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝘃𝗶𝗽𝗲𝗿: twin sister of newt
older sister to sonya

act II. the scorch trials
act lll. the death cure
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗡𝗗

this is ivory viper—signing off