53. the things we lost in the fire

Each team had a set of crucial tasks to complete, but they all shared the same goal of rescuing their loved ones. The groups were on different missions, but they all shared the same goal of rescuing the ones they loved.

Meanwhile, Thomas was still carrying the weight of the guilt and burden of almost losing Newt, while trying to get them both to safety..

Thomas had the heavy burden on his shoulders of almost losing his friend, Newt. He was the only one who was left to take care of Newt, as all the others were already occupied with other tasks.

While Minho, Gally, and Nancy were rushing into the fire to save their friend Newt and also to help rescue Vicky - who was also another loved one - Thomas had the responsibility of carrying Newt out of the tunnels and through the fire, making sure he made it safely through.

"It's okay, Newt. Hang on, we'll make it!" Thomas's voice shouted over the chaos, trying to keep his courage up and his friend alive. He was trying his hardest to drag Newt's weak body, knowing that even though he was weak, he couldn't let him give up just yet and needed to keep moving to make it out of the situation alive.

The fire was burning around them and the soldiers were coming closer and closer by the second, but Thomas kept pushing through, not even hesitating, with the sole purpose of getting Newt out of there.

Danger is lurking in the shadows. Machines everywhere, pointers shooting down from the building to the city from above.

Inside WCKD's building, Carter was watching the chaos from the shadows, where the machine guns were firing down from above to the city. The soldiers were trying their best to keep themselves safe, but their leader, Carter, had his evil green eyes on one person - Vivian.

The wild woman who had been clearing half his soldiers and now made him look weak. She was the only one there he considered a threat, a worthy opponent and someone he was sure he could not take lightly and he knew he had to eliminate her as soon as possible. He knew that she was a big threat, not only to his plans and goals, but also to him personally, given how efficiently she was taking on his men.

Carter was aware that not only Vivian, but also her daughter Vicky, were a threat to him. Both women were powerful, not in the sense of physical strength or raw power, but in their ability to survive and their skillsets. Carter knew that both women were skilled and capable, and would be a threat regardless of their abilities or potential.

He knew that Vicky had survived for a long time and was still alive, despite having been infected with the Flare virus. He knows that she is a strong individual, and this added strength only added to his fears.

Wild woman raised a wild child.

Footsteps beating on the floor, soldiers approaching from behind Carter. Carter knew that Thèrèse, the strong-willed girl, was the main target, and he would not leave without seeing her dead. He was intent on following his mission till the end, no matter what.

"Find Thèrese. Kill the rest." He said in his cruel and ruthless voice, without taking into consideration any of the lives, which included the innocent kids who were trapped in this mess.

"But sir, she is your daughter." One of the soldier said.

"I know that," Carter replied calmly yet coldly. He didn't seem to have any emotions as he spoke. "That's all the more reason for it to be done. Just find her. And don't fail me." He added in his cruel tone, making it clear that he would not accept any excuses or delays.

"What about Vivian? You wanna waste her too?" The soldier asked again.

Carter shifted his green eyes to the side before tsk-ing. He had a better, cruel plan. "No. Waste her daughter." He said. "She's close to losing herself to the virus. Turn all the lights. Make sure her symptoms are growing." Carter told the soldiers cruelly but with a calm and even tone, as he knew that this would do more than just physically hurt the girl, and would break the bond between her and the mother.