54. the fall of the queen

When Vivian saw the group huddled around someone, she examined every person and only one person, two actually were missing — Newt and Vicky — Vivian immediately thought of the worst, she bolts her engine towards the group, not even give it a time to stop and Vivian already hop off, praying to herself that it wasn't something she thought it was.

Vivian's eyes quickly scan and examine everyone, noticing that Newt and Vicky, both of whom she was close with, are missing. Without any moment to stop, she speeds her engine towards the group, eager to know where Newt and Vicky are. Vivian prays to herself, hoping that the situation is not that bad, but there is still this feeling of unease and anxiety about what might have happened to them.

Vivian's heart aches and her mind is clouded, every step she takes she is filled with fear and anxiety about what she is witnessing right now. She sees her daughter laying there on the ground, on the verge of turning into a Crank, and she sees a pool of blood forming on her chest. She sees Nancy's hand pressing hard to put pressure on Vicky's wound and tries to stay conscious. Vivian repeats, "No, no, Vicky," as her hands shakily move to her daughter's chest, trying to help her, knowing that the situation is dire.

"Mom, you- here.." Vicky manages to croak out, trying to get her words out through her labored breathing and the excruciating pain. She grips into the arms of Nancy and Vivian, trying to squeeze every last bit of life left in her. Her body moves from the pain and trauma that she is experiencing and despite all that she is going through, she still manages to cling on to the most important people in her life.

"Yeah.. yeah.. your mama's here, sweetie.." Vivian let out a rough cry. "It's okay kid, it's okay.." Jorge tries to assure her, while Nancy is trying to stop the bleeding, but it's taking a toll on Vicky's conscious and she is feeling weak and fatigued. It's clearly apparent that she will be in danger of turning into a crank at any point, as the symptoms were already setting in.

"Vicky, stay with us alright?" Nancy tries to keep her voice steady, but when she speaks, it comes out shaking, breaking down in tears and grief. She has already lost her brother, and she cannot lose another family. She doesn't want her best friend to slip away like her brother before her eyes.

"Mom," Vicky calls out, her eyes tearing up and her face red with the strain she is going through. "Yes, sweetheart?" Vivian nods, caressing her cheek as she lets out a sob, trying to stay strong in front of her daughter. Nancy glances up at the interaction between Vicky and Vivian, and she sees Vivian's tear-filled eyes and her hands and fingers covered in Vicky's blood. Nancy is also heartbroken, her eyes glossy with tears and her hands trembling as she tries to stay strong and hold back the tears.

Vicky closed her eyes for a moment, feeling her muscles dying down. Vicky's body shifting uncontrollably as her blood's leaving her veins. She began to trembled, she shakes her head quickly, feeling overwhelmed.

Vicky keeps repeating her words, "Mom, I'm scared, I can't feel anything, I'm scared, I'm scared," and her voice breaks Vivian's heart, the mother feeling like she is losing her daughter right in front of her. The world around her is burning and collapsing into the ground, but she can only focus on Vicky and try to remain strong for her. "Yes, I know, I know, darling, it's okay, just hold on," Vivian is trying to remain composed, but her voice is choking with sobs and tears are flowing down her cheeks.

"Mom, I'm scared! I'm scared!" Vicky shakes her head, sobbing coming out clearly. "I don't wanna die, I'm not ready! I don't wanna go! I'm not ready, mom! I wanna go home!" Vicky cries, yet no tears coming down her eyes, only painful cries throbbing in her throat. "Hold on, please.. Hold on.." Nancy pleaded, trying her real best to stop the bleeding.

Vivian nods in despair and overwhelmed, "Yes, yes. We're going home, we're going home, sweetheart." She sobs, clinging onto her daughter.

Out of blue, Vicky's eyes suddenly relaxed and her pupils widening as her blood stops gushing and her pulse stops beating. Her cold, veiny hands that's gripping Nancy's slowly falling down, which makes Nancy holds onto it tighter, shaking her head in despair.

Vivian's eyes go from Nancy to her lifeless daughter, in denial, unable to believe that her baby girl in front of her has gone.

Vivian's eyes are on Vicky, who is lifeless now, the words sinking in and the horror becoming a reality, no amount of denial can change what has happened and Vivian starts to break down.

"Vicky? No, no, Vicky! darling, say something!" Vivian pleads, hoping for some movement or some sign of life. "NO! VICTORIA! NO PLEASE!" Vivian's heart crushed, her voice are cold and enraged, shouting Vicky's name over and over again that some of the Gladers have to look away because of how painful her screams sound. She hovers over Vicky's body, not wanting to accept what has happened, wanting to bring her back.

"No!" Vivian is pleading for her to be okay, her heart is crushed and her voice becomes very angry and cold, her rage boiling over. "NO! Victoria! No, please!" She screams out so loudly in grief, desperation, and anger, that several of the Gladers are covering their ears because of how painful it sounds and they are all looking away because of how painful it is to watch her break down.

Vivian tries to shake Vicky awake, but Jorge pulls her away, concerned that she might hurt her child from all the grief, fear, and anger she's feeling in this moment. She cries out in denial, "No, my baby, my baby," before holding her daughter's head and bringing it closer to her, trying to make a connection with her only to experience the bitter reality that she can't save her daughter or make a miracle happen.

Vivian feels so powerless and broken that she begins to let her grief take over. She cries uncontrollably, her whole world turning black and her heart being broken into tiny little pieces. She can not accept the reality of losing her daughter and she starts to sob more fiercely than she has ever before, her tears running down her cheeks as she shakes Vicky's lifeless body, willing it to come back to life.

Vivian's screams are raw and empty, filled with the pain, emptiness, and sorrow of losing her daughter. She screams out to the sky, not finding any hope or salvation, only the dark night staring back at her. "Oh Great Mother! Help me! My daughter!" the emptiness and sorrow of losing her daughter breaking her down completely and filling her with rage against the world that took her daughter away.

She shouts to the Great Mother, trying to find relief in this bleak world, and begging for an answer, but the only response she gets is silence. "My child!" she pleads with desperate longing.

Jorge put his arms around Vivian, holding her back while Vivian angrily breathing in his arms, holding her daughter's shoulder. Vivian jumps and she reaches for Vicky's head placing it carefully in her hands, then brought it near her stomach, where Vicky used to be in. "NO! NO.. No!"

"Why did you take my daughter away from me?" her screams of agony echo throughout the dark night, breaking her down and stripping her of any hope left, as she is now feeling so alone and forsaken in this bleak and evil world.

Carter stares down in satisfaction at the pained, heartbroken family of the deceased leader of the Gladers. He has managed to destroy a family, kill a loved one in front of everyone's eyes, and break their spirit. He has succeeded in destroying the only hope they had left and now he can watch as they are reduced to nothing but agony and grief.