Chapter 13

When people say a place is "up-side down" because of how messy it is I have always thought of it to be an exaggeration, but I kid you not this kitchen was indeed up-side down today.

Zara was in the kitchen making what seems to be Shepard's pie for Ya Muhammad

I came back after a tiring day from school, I was the only one who had classes today as Ya Khalifa and Amna didn't have any, the two of them were out with aunty, the twins were at their mom's cousin's  house and Baba and Ya Muhammad were at work.

I had completely forgot about Zara's existence until I entered to get a bottle of water.

I gasped as I stood in the doorway.

There were cracked egg shells on the floor, onion skin and the head of bell peppers, potato skin was EVERYWHERE and the air was way too humid and there was a brownish liquid on the floor and from the smell I suspect it to be beef broth.

Zara stood in the middle of it all, with the maid Kausar at the side with her chin in her palm eyeing Zara up, she looked like she was 3 seconds away from smacking her back to Kaduna.

When Zara noticed me her eyes widened before they lit up.

"Maryam!" She said as she pointed at me as she rushed to me before slowing down so she doesn't slip on the broth

"Manal..my name's Manal" I corrected.

"Whatever, close enough!" She signed dramatically before placing her hand on her chest "you can cook right? Khalifa wouldn't shut up yesterday because of your cupcakes so you can cook."

That's baking, I could know how to cook but not know how to bake.

I did know how to do both anyway but she didn't need to know that...

"I-..." I started to say before she cut me off.

"Perfect!" She clapped her hands before dragging me into the kitchen.

"I know we didn't start off well because of a slight misunderstanding."

Girl stop lying we both know you hate me and you're only speaking to be because you need my help.

"But I promise no hard feelings, you seem like a sweet girl so you should be able to tell I am trying to marry Muhammad, and again as you can tell he's a tough guy to win over, AGAIN, as you can tell I can not cook to save my life, but he doesn't need to know that, so PLEASE help me make this Shepard's pie I've been here for hours!" She said with a final deep breath.

She could have really saved herself the time and energy and just said the last sentence.

"Please" she added with a grin.

I pursed my lips "...ok"

"Perfect Maryam!" She said "ok so now the thing is they're all coming back in under an hour so you must finish before then" she said before removing her apron and dumping it in my arms before rushing out of the kitchen.

Did she just-...

Girl.

I turned to make eye contact with Kausar and we bursted out laughing.

"Lallai an kawo ma baban su Alim abunda yafi qarfinshi, Wai!" She said as she picked up a broom and a mop to start cleaning up
(Indeed they've brought something that has passed Alim's dad's power)

I shook my head in amusement as I kept my bag on a chair next to me before I started getting another batch of ingredients because whatever was in that dish that she had started was just not going to work, I had to start afresh.