Chapter 40

I thought we would head home after that. 

But he took us to Hajiya Ramatu's house, the twin's grandmother.

She is one of the sweetest people I've met, she was genuinely very happy and pleased to see us.

Laila was not as enthusiastic as her mother.

It didn't seem like Laila didn't like me, I felt that she meant no harm, she was just trying to study me, so I didn't mind her coldness and her staring.

Asr prayer was called and Ya Muhammad left to pray in a mosque nearby, I prayed together with Laila and her mother in the living room downstairs and Laila went upstairs to her room immediately after.

Hajiya Ramatu brought out a few photo Albums to show me.

The first one was the twin's naming ceremony.

She gave me the album before urging me to open it, the first thing I noticed when I opened it was a very beautiful woman.

One of the most beautiful people I've ever seen.

She's slim, she had a medium skin tone with an oval face adored with big doe-like eyes, a slim narrow nose and small lips.

Wow.

This had to be the twin's mother.

He had been with someone as beautiful as her, why would he ever find you attractive?

I cursed the voice in my head.

Aunty Sa'adatu and Amna had both mentioned that we look alike, but honestly I didn't see it, maybe because it was me?

But I really didn't see it, only the skin tone and maybe the eyes and the nose, but that was it.

"That's Afra" Her mother said with a smile as she looked at the picture.

I smiled back at her swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Ma Sha Allah" i replied.

I turned to the other page, and if the first page made me feel bad about myself then the second one was worse.

It was them, Ya Muhammad, Afra and the twins.

A family.

He was looking at her laughing at what she seemed to be saying as he held Alina in his arms and she was fixing Alim's cap as he laid in her arms.

He's laughing, smiling, happy.

I've never seen him like this. I never thought I could see him like this.

"Despite her smiles here she was really worried about Alim's health this day, the ceremony almost got cancelled because he was acting up the night before" Hajiya Ramatu explained.

I nodded in understanding, quick to turn to another page, I didn't like the way it felt like a fist was constricting my heart one bit.

This page it was just the twins, in this picture somehow New Born Alina had something on her lips close to a smile and New Born Alim had a frown looking like he was a second away from wailing.

What a contrast to how they are now.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the picture.

The next page was Afra with Amna and Laila, Amna and Laila wore a matching atampa and everyone looked so happy with wide grins on their faces.

I kept going through the Album with Hajiya Ramatu occasionally throwing in explanations.

I paused and I smiled when I saw a picture of my mother with the twins. I remembered when she came for the naming ceremony, I had just entered SS1 and I was panicking because of my upcoming test.