Chapter 31

Yesterday after Ya Muhammad had informed us about the death of his father-in-law, he sat down for two more minutes before he stood up and he left the dining without another word.

The atmosphere after that was very gloomy.

The two times I've seen Ya Muhammad with this man I've understood this man was at the same level as his father to him.

So I understood why everyone looked at him with a sympathetic gaze.

After dinner everyone automatically retired to their room, there was no siting down to talk to each other today.

I had taken the twins to bed before retiring to my room.

Today was the following morning and Amna and Ya Khalifa had gone to school, I didn't have classes today.

It was just after zuhr and I came out of the toilet from my shower, I had locked the door because Alina and her uncle had a bad habit of barging into my room without knocking.

I heard a knock on the door "Manal?"

It was Amna.

I ignored it.

"Manal please open the door, I spoke with Sadiya and she explained everything to me today, Dan Allah kiyi haquri ki budde qofan"

I rolled my eyes.

I wasn't forgiving Amna so easily.

She did things in the heat of the moment without thinking about it, I was a victim of it during the party lateness incident and now this again.

I may have forgiven her last time easily but not so easily this time, she can't say a bunch of hurtful words to me and think I'll be ok after a day, life doesn't work like that.

I could hear her voice from behind the door as I continued getting ready, making sure to make noises so she could know I was indeed inside the room and I could hear her.

About six-seven minutes later she got tired and she left the door.

I stayed in the room till Asr, after I prayed I changed into a hijab a bit shorter than the one I had prayed in before picking up my phone and I left the room.

Aunty Saadatu said we were going to the gidan rasuwa after Asr.

His wife and daughter took a flight this morning to come back to Nigeria, he had been buried back in Turkey.

Apparently he had passed away several hours before they told ya Muhammad, in fact they told him after he had been buried, and he was the first person told. I guess they needed sometime to themselves to let it sink in.

They had wanted to bury him in Nigeria but the process of the transportation and verification will take long and there is no use leaving him unburied for so long.

I went into the big living room to see everyone already there, Amna was in a similar hijab to mine, Zara wore an abaya and so did Aunty Sa'adatu.

They looked up to me entering the room and Aunty Saadatu gestured we start going.

After a 30 minute drive because of the traffic we arrived at the big house which was already filled with cars, I ignored Amna's glances towards me, I was grateful Zara was sitting in between us.

We came out of the car after arriving and there were canopies and chairs scattered around the huge compound.

We went into the front doors and immediately we went on Aunty Saadatu started greeting the people around, the three of us did the same.