Chapter 1

The trees passed by in a blur as I looked out the window of the car, I was finally in Abuja again.

The first and last time I remember being in this city was about 6-7 years ago when i escorted my mother for a wedding.

It was more beautiful than the last time I came, new buildings, street lights filled the places that used to be empty of them, hell even the streets don't look the same..but to be fair, seven years is a very long time.

I watch as different types of things catch my attention, but the reason why I am back at this city is not exactly something to be happy about.

Well how do I say this...My Father has lost his job.

The past two months have been really hard for I and my family.

My Father is the only child of his parents and one thing my grandfather made sure of before he passed away was that his only son had the best education, and my father made sure that I and my sister had good education too.

And that was what took him to be the head doctor of the small hospital that we had in our area.

But the hospital got shut down two months ago with no reason nor explanation by the government, we had to leave our house inside the city of Dutse, Jigawa to go back to my Late grandfather's house in the village because my Father couldn't afford the rent anymore.

I had already graduated from my secondary school about three months before Baba lost his job, but my sister was just about to enter SS1, she had to give up going to school for us to manage.

My Father was finding it very difficult to take care of a wife and two children but he still had a small side business to help him but he wasn't making enough, my mother has taken it upon herself to help by starting a braiding business and I did henna for people on the side to.

My mother's childhood friend Aunty Sa'adatu took pity on us.

She had been a good friend to my mother for as long as I could remember, every year during Ramadan she sends food stuffs for my family and she often comes to visit us. And during eid she always sends I and my sister Ummi clothes.

She was the most kindest of people in my eyes.

She offered to let me stay with her family when she noticed how things were getting harder for us.

Of course it took a lot of time for my parents to agree, especially my father, my father was a person with a lot of pride so it took a hit on his ego that his daughter had to leave the house because he didn't make enough to cater for three other people apart from him.

But after a lot of convincing and reassurance from Aunty Sa'adatu, they later agreed to let me go stay with her and her family.

Now I'm sitting in the car with Aunty Sa'adatu's driver who was taking me to Abuja.

He told me it would take about 7-8 hours from Jigawa to Abuja but it honestly feels like I've spent a day in this car, my bottom was sore.

We left Jigawa immediately after Fajr and now it was about 12 o'clock and we had arrived.

He went through several turns that I could never remember even if it costs my life before we stopped at a big black gate.