⤷ 04| FALLEN WARRIOR

CHAPTER FOURfallen warrior

CHAPTER FOUR
fallen warrior

⋆. ────────── ꕥ ────────── .⋆

The moments after seemed to last forever. June, Charlie, Kingsley, Remus, Hermione, Ginny and Harry were waiting outside in the back year—awaiting any sign of the others.

The minutes stretched into what might as well have been rears. The slightest breath of wind made them all jump and turn oward the whispering bush or tree in the hope that one of the nissing Order members might leap unscathed from its leaves—

And then a broom materialized directly above them and streaked toward the ground—

"It's them!" Hermione screamed.

Nymphadora landed in a long skid that sent earth and pebbles everywhere.

"Remus!" Nymphadora cried as she staggered off the broom into Remus' arms. His face was set and white: He seemed unable to speak. Ron tripped dazedly toward Harry and Hermione.

"You're okay," he mumbled, before Hermione flew at him and hugged him tightly.

"I thought—I thought—"

" 'M all right," Ron said, patting her on the back. " 'M fine."

"Ron was great," Nymphadora said warmly, relinquishing her hold on Remus. "Wonderful. Stunned one of the Death Eaters, straight to the head, and when you're aiming at a moving target from a flying broom—"

"You did?" Hermione said, gazing up at Ron with her arms still around his neck.

"Always the tone of surprise.," he said a little grumpily, breaking free. "Are we the last back?"

"No," Ginny said, "we're still waiting for Bill and Fleur and Mad-Eye and Mundungus. I'm going to tell Mum and Dad you're okay, Ron—"

She ran back inside.

"So what kept you? What happened?" Remus sounded almost angry at Nymphadora.

"Bellatrix," Nymphadora said, as she moved towards June to give her a tight hug. "She wants me quite as much as she wants Harry, Remus, she tried very hard to kill me. I just wish I'd got her. I owe Bellatrix. But we definitely injured Rodolphus. Then we got to Ron's Auntie Muriel, and we'd missed our Portkey and she was fussing over us—"

A muscle was jumping in Remus' jaw. He nodded, but seemed unable to say anything else.

"So what happened to you lot?" Nymphadora asked, turning to the others.

They recounted the shories of their own journeys, but all the time the continued absence of Bill, Fleur, Mad-Eye and Mundungus seemed to lie upon them like a frost, its icy bite harder and harder to ignore.