⤷ 05| THE ARRIVAL OF THE DELACOURS

CHAPTER FIVEthe arrival of the delacours

CHAPTER FIVE
the arrival of the delacours

⋆. ────────── ꕥ ────────── .⋆

The shock of losing Mad-Eye hung over the house in the days that followed; June kept expecting to see him stumping in through the back door like the other Order members, who passed in and out to relay news.

And then was there the fact that Harry, Hermione and Ron wouldn't be returning to Hogwarts—something June wanted to get to the bottom of.

"What is this I hear of you, Ron and Hermione not returning to Hogwarts?" June questioned her cousin as they were sitting alone in the seats in front of the fireplace.

Immediately, Harry tensed up. "Well, Dumbledore left me . . . stuff to do. Ron and Hermione know about it, and they want to come too."

"Why didn't you tell me? I'd have come with you."

Harry avoided her eyes. "This will be dangerous, June. I do not want anything to happen to you."

June crossed her arms. "But it's okay if something happens to you?"

"It's different," Harry said. "I care more about you than I care about me."

"Harry," June said, touched by his caring, "you know you can trust me, right? I would do anything for you."

Harry's emerald green eyes met hers. "That's the problem."

In the following days, June was kept busy preparing for the wedding and working as an Auror. She cleaned the cutlery, color-matched favors, ribbons and flowers, de-gnomed the garden and helped Molly cook vast batches of canapés.

They were often joined by other Order members for dinner now, because the Burrow had replaced number twelve, Grimmauld Place as the headquarters. Arthur had explained that after the death of Dumbledore, their Secret-Keeper, each of the people to whom Dumbledore had confided Grimmauld Place's location had become a Secret-Keeper in turn.

This was the reason June stayed with Ted and Andromeda and Sirius stayed with Aiden.

"And as there are around twenty of us, that greatly dilutes the power of the Fidelius Charm. Twenty times as many opportunities for the Death Eaters to get the secret out of somebody. We can't expect it to hold much longer."

"But surely Snape will have told the Death Eaters the address by now?" Harry asked.

"Well, Mad-Eye set up a couple of curses against Snape in case he turns up there again. We hope they'll be strong enough both to keep him out and to bind his tongue if he tries to talk about the place, but we can't be sure. It would have been insane to keep using the place as headquarters now that its protection has become so shaky."