Chapter 46

"Careful."

I roll my eyes but I let him lead me still.

The floor is clattered with leaves, wooden sticks, and bits of plastics. If I fall, I might get splinters and maybe an infection. But then I'd swim towards a pool of blood littered across tiles like slime under our feet.

Even the walls displays a full horror.

Like the ones I only see in movies.

Various blood handprints sticks to the wall, and its awfully dragged like a direction, as if pointing where the killer is going.  And where he is waiting.

A bout of jitters bites like worms under my skin, and it threatens my feet from going. However, every tick of seconds there's a buzz drilling deeper in my head. They whisper like ghosts but they're leading me like angels.

My heart was pumping along the rhythm of the drill. Fast and loud, blaring against my brittle bones.

I took a step, then it lessens.

Another step.

Then another step.

Then another.......

Till it changed with so much excitement that my heartbeat softens like the tune of a flute- faint and unchanging.

Now I hear and feel the beauty of silence. The supposed thrills lulls me into peace.

"Kennedy..."

I snap my head towards the voice. I hate that name, but it rolls in his tongue so smoothly that I let him get away with it.

"Rie?" I wondered, but it's also an excuse to speak his name. "Is something wrong?"

"I wont say." He looks down as he plays with his fingers.

"Tell me."

"Well...." He draws out his words. "There's a problem. But it's not something I cant resolve, though I need your permission first."

I tilted my head in curiosity.

"I -I w-wont let anything sully the path that you're walking on."

My brows draws deeper, "I dont understand what you're trying to say."

Sweat trickles down his forehead and he keeps licking on his drying lips. He swallows to keep his throat wet.

"Are you thirsty?" I blurted. He shut his eyes close, the corner of his ears flushed red as he tries to avoid my gaze. "What's wrong?" I genuinely asked, I have enough headaches from guessing.

"Like I've guessed there are no food in my inventory-"

"You mean the shop? Why wont they have food when it's the most vital for survival. Are they trying to starve us?"

"Well, some people do store some. Back then food is the easiest to get, unless for those who rarely step out of the house they're the ones who usually hoard." He bites his lips. "I was rarely at home. I could never guess that what I stuff there would reflect to my present."

I shot him a quizzical look. Surely, he's speaking English but the words he uttered are no different of to the aliens. Yet I start to glaze with focus.

I snatch my wrist up in an hasty attempt to make sense of what he's saying. I click on to my band remembering the steps El had shown me, and like a broken static it first light up blue.

This is the third time.

It always begins with a crackling of blue and a faint of purple, that seems to hiss out of the screen. And simultaneously making my heart jump out against my chest.