Chapter 71

Crybaby threw herself at me. Her arms locking up mine as she bawls. Her tears cascading down to my shoulders, telling me that everything's gonna be alright.

And the others thought the same.

Their guard loosened. While their eyes that once hold suspicion turned into one of pity.

She's like us, a victim.

Probably whats on their head.

And I wanted to keep that running over and over that I am a precious little thing, that I have trauma, that it's a good thing that they saved me.

However, not everyone processed the same thing.

The guy in front of me- the thief who was all over Crybaby- openly displays his suspicion.

But with victory burning bright in my eyes, I met the Thief's gaze head on, silently daring him to challenge me further.

I volunteered to join the team who collects firewoods. They refused at first saying that I should rest.

But I couldn't do that.

I couldn't be a burden. I should show them that I am thankful despite the bruises all over my body. Of course, I won't waste a day lounging around and let these colors disappear without showing it to them.

These black-and-blues makes me seem like a true victim.

"Careful. The roots here are nasty! They'd trip like bananas on cartoons!"

He has a burn on one of his eye that the eyepatch couldn't cover. A new one. Not even a month old. But that surely didn't abolish his confidence.

I couldn't even catch his name, assuming that I've already known him since we've been on the same class for almost 2 years.

Though it's true... But I'd settle for calling him Eyepatch for now.

He slid a hand to the small of my back, the act startling me.

"Oops, my bad. Just trying to make sure you don't take a tumble, you know?" Eyepatch whispered with a mischievous grin, his hand lingering tantalizingly on my back. "But hey, now that we're out here, how about we turn this wood gathering into a little game? I'll gather the logs, and you... well, let's just say I've got some ideas for how we can keep warm tonight."

A wave of irritation and discomfort washed over me. One might mistake him cute and charming, but knowing his background his words meant different.

Though I admit, he wore this facade so effortlessly that he was able to snuck into a group of thieves.

The girl beside me snorted.

She looks cool, boyish, and she was a real thief. Another one whom I can't remember the name.

Before I could ask her what's wrong, she swiftly raised her hand and slapped him on the side of his head. The sound punctuating the air with a sharp crack that silenced any lingering traces of flirtation.

"Seriously?" She scolded, her eyes scanning the dense forest. "You make it seem like you've become desperate to get into the girl's pants."

Eyepatch winced, rubbing the spot where she had hit him. "Wasn't it obvious?" he retorted with a sheepish grin, his eyes twinkling with mischief despite the sting of her slap.

She rolled her eyes, but a smirk tugged at the corners of her lips. "Oh, it was obvious alright," she quipped, her tone teasing yet affectionate. "Just try to keep it in check, will you? We've got enough trouble without you stirring up more drama."

Eyepatch chuckled, the tension of the moment easing as their banter resumed. "Got it," he replied, a hint of amusement in his voice. "No more flirting with danger... or with the girls, for that matter."

His wink held a flirtatious allure, but beneath the surface, there lurked a chilling intent. That his charm was a carefully crafted facade, masking a hunger that ran far deeper than mere desire. Despite the playful banter and coy smiles, there was a primal hunger in his eyes, a hunger that made my skin crawl with unease as I know the true extent of his intentions.

I wonder on how many murderers did the thieves let in.