Chapter 70

Familiar faces stood in front of me.

Their faces etch with concern as they shamefully wore dirt and dried blood like sewer rats -only hiding and running and clinging to the remnants of their humanity.

As they reach out with trembling hands, offering me water, that's when I realized the disparity in access between us.

While I don't have anything but files of information, the boys have.

Everything.

From food to clothes to weapons.

They have everything...

"It's alright now." she murmured, her eyes squeezing shut in an effort to hold back tears. "Y- you're safe now."

I reached for the bottled water, aware of the eyes staring at my every movement. Aware that they have weapons with them, and if I'm a bit suspicious they won't hesitate to shoot me down to protect their own.

"W-what is this?" I let my lips stutter. To show as much fragility as I can. As innocent. As pity. As worth to save.

I've barely talk to them before. Maybe once or twice and never worth remembering.

And yet they 'saved' me.

As their gazes lingered, filled with a mixture of concern and uncertainty, I couldn't help but scoff inwardly. Stupid, naive do-gooders, blindly extending their hand to a stranger without a second thought. Didn't they realize there's no room for sentimentality in this harsh world? No space for the weak, the foolish?

"Don't worry." she reassured me, leaning in until she knelt beside me, tears glistening in her eyes. One eye appeared slightly smaller than the other as she nervously bit her lower lip, her fingertips showing signs of calluses likely from frequent use of tools such as lock picks and wire cutters.

I couldn't recall her name, but Miss Crybaby here struggled with severe kleptomania. So much so that she started getting into houses, no matter how small or big, as long as she can steal anything that she fancies.

"We're going to get out of here—" She began, reaching towards my hand, but the guy behind her abruptly pulled her back.

"What are you doing?" He exclaimed, his gaze darting between her and me, as if I were contagious. His hand clenched into a fist at his side, his body tensed with a mixture of anger and doubt.

He's clearly against the idea of me being here. But this thief is clearly smitten with the other.

"What's wrong with you?" She shot him a concerned look. "You're scaring her," she added, lowering her voice.

And as if her words were some magic, he softened his grip on her all while shooting daggers on me.

He leaned as if to whisper, but he was clearly aiming for me to hear. "You know she's friends with them."

Everyone nodded.

Glancing at me. Wary of me.

Even though I wouldn't do that. Not when I have nothing on me but a bottle of water.

But Im impressed on their level of humanity. That they could just save someone in need even if it's strangers.

Such compassion. Such empathy. Such naivety.

This should be their lesson to learn.

No good could ever come from being too humane.

"I know.." My voice dripped with grief. And as I drop my head low, burying my fingers onto my bare knees that's where I'll see how deep their kindness could go.
"I thought they were my friends too..."