4

You run into your neighbor's house, and pick up a shard of glass from a broken window. You hear the thumping of footsteps upstairs, and think it's too slow to be a zombie's. You tiptoe up the steps, just in time to see a college-aged boy with a sloped nose you've always found cute, framed by somewhat long, dark, curly hair, washing blood off of his face.

He sees you, and trips backwards into the wall. "Shit, y/n, when did you get here?" He sighs in relief.

"That was graceful, Carter" you smile. "Sorry, I was hoping you'd be here. My family was infected, and I wanted to see if you and your family were alive."

"Oh, they're alive." He grimaces. "I just locked them in the basement." He stops, and squints his green eyes. "I guess they're not technically alive; they're infected."

"I'm so sorry." You walk over to him, and put your hand on his shoulder. You've lived in this neighborhood your entire life, even during college, and was his first friend when he moved here in the third grade.

"Not really anything we can do about it at this point." He sighs. "We've got to get out of here. I'm already packed up, so I was trying wash some of this—" he motions to the blood covering him, "off."

"Well I'm ready if you're ready." You tell him.

"Let's go." He responds.

He grabs his stuff, and tells you to follow him. You make it to his car, and begin driving.

"Where are we going?" You ask.

"This is going to sound crazy, but it's a shed behind a gas station." he chuckles.

"Sooo, we're going to hide in someone's shed..?" You ask sarcastically.

"Okay, it does sound weird," he laughs, "but it's where my boss, Harvey, who owns the gas station, asked me to meet him. I'm sure he won't mind that you're tagging along."

"It's still a little strange that we're meeting him in a shed, though."

"Well, the shed doesn't have glass walls, unlike the actual gas station building, and it's pretty heavy duty as far as sheds go." He shrugs and smiles at you.

It doesn't take long to reach the gas station. Carter parks the car in the front lot, before sneaking around the gas station into the shed.

Go to 9