38

You rush towards Violet, who's lying under a tree, clutching her arm. You fling your arms around her, and are about to start tearing your shirt to make a tourniquet for her, when she stops you.

"It's a bite." She cries softly.

You think back to your conversation from last night.

(If you slept in the middle hammock, you've already read this, and you can skip past it.)

*****
"Do you remember those matching bracelets you, Emily and I bought on vacation like ten years ago?"

"Of course." You smile. "I'm still wearing mine right now. It's held up really well. How come?"

"I brought back Emily's. And...this is going to sound really morbid," Violet cringes, "but if I die, will you please take the bracelets and keep them safe? Give them to someone that you trust and care about. Okay?"

"Violet, that's insane, nothing's going-"

"I'm serious. Please. I want these bracelets to mean the same thing to other people that they meant to us."

"Only if anything happens. I won't let anything happen though." You comfort her.
*****

"This can't be happening," You shake your head. "There's got to be something's we can do. We can try amputation, or-"

"We both know amputation won't work." Violet grimaces. "You need to shoot me." She whispers.

"No." You shake your head violently. "I can't. I'm not going to-"

Just then, Harvey runs over to you two.

"Take the bracelets, y/n." She hands them to you. "Don't be a wuss." She laughs a bit, before sighing deeply, and facing Harvey seriously. "Harvey, I've been bitten. You need to shoot me."

Harvey hesitates.

"Now."

Harvey takes a deep breath, and plasters a grumpy determined look on his face. Violet tells you to move, so you're don't get blood all over you, but you refuse. Harvey puts his gun on her heart, looks away, and shoots. You scream, loud and long. Why did this happen to her? She was only seventeen. Could you have done anything to save her?

After the last few zombies are killed, everyone returns ato the shed, and Violet is buried under an oak tree, and stones are laid around her grave. You think about looking for Violets to plant here someday.

Afterwards, everyone retires to the shed.

Go to 40