21

You choose the hammock in the middle.

Harvey comes back downstairs, turns off the lights, and crawls into his cot. Snores begin to echo throughout the room, and you think about how lucky you are to be here.

"Psst." You hear someone whisper. "Are you still awake?"

You turn to see Violet staring at you with wide eyes. "I can't sleep, can you?"

"It's hard." You reply dryly.

"Well, I just wanted to tell you that I'm really glad you're here. And," she pauses sheepishly. "Do you remember those matching bracelets you, Emily and I bought on vacation like ten years ago?"

"Of course." You smile. "I'm still wearing mine right now. It's held up really well. How come?"

"I brought back Emily's. And...this is going to sound really morbid," Violet cringes, "but if I die, will you please take the bracelets and keep them safe? Give them to someone that you trust and care about. Okay?"

"Violet, that's insane, nothing's going—"

"I'm serious. Please. I want these bracelets to mean the same thing to other people that they meant to us."

"Only if anything happens. I won't let anything happen though." You comfort her. (+1 Violet point)

As you begin to doze off, something bursts through the door with a guttural shriek. It's a zombie. It goes for Harvey, who is closest to the door, as Harvey wakes up and fights it, you fall out of your hammock, panicking. Carter rushes towards you with a gun, and helps you into your feet. Oliver immediately runs for the door, and slams it, preventing anything else from entering.

Luckily, Harvey has a knife handy, and is able to stab the zombie, and stop its heart, before it bites him.

Assured that the zombie is dead, Carter pulls you close to him. "Are you hurt?" He whispers.

"No." You respond, quietly.

"Are you telling me we forgot to lock the door?" Harvey says in an icy cold whisper. "Even with all the confusion, that was a nearly fatal mistake. I can't believe this." Harvey storms upstairs, muttering about our incompetency.

"Shit, I don't know how I could've forgotten to lock the door." Oliver groans, rubbing his eyes.

"It's not only your fault, dear." Nana comforts him.

"Yes, but had someone died, we would've lost 100% of them. We'd all be 100% responsible for that." He snaps. "I'm sorry." He softens, accepting Nana's warm hug.

Carter gives you a weak smile, before climbing back into his bed.

"So we're just gonna leave the body in the middle of the room for apocalyptic ambiance?" Violet asks sarcastically. "Oliver, go open the door for me." Violet demands, as she picks up the zombie by the arms, and drags it out the door. "Do what you want with it in the morning. I'm washing my hands and going back to bed."

"She's a badass." You laugh quietly, as everyone settles down for bed for the second time.

Go to 25