56

You haul wood behind the shed. Nana is in the process of making a garden, and she needs wood to build a fence. Michael has volunteered to build it, but asked if someone else would be able to fetch the wood. To Michael's horror, you agree to. He wasn't expecting a girl to volunteer. He's been silently pouting about it since.

"What will you grow, Nana?" You ask her, as you set the wood down against the shed.

"Oh, a little of this, a little of that," she smiles, digging in the dirt with the shovel Harvey gave her. "Whatever seeds we can salvage from our food."

You stretch your back, and wipe the sweat from your eyes. It's a hot day.

"Nana," You ask tentatively, "do you think that there are really less zombies? Or that they'll come at us all at once? I've been afraid of the latter, and I don't know if it's a valid or irrational fear."

Nana looks up at you, and offers a comforting smile.

"Both are very possible." She begins. "While I love life, I've lived mine, and lived it well, I have. As for you young folk, I hope each of you get the chance to live a long life as well." She pauses. "Except for maybe Michael." She adds.

You laugh, "Nana, you can't say that!" You scold her.

"I can say whatever I want, sweetheart." Nana clicks her tongue. "I know a lot of words, but not many are properly equipped to describe that pig. He thinks I'm a waste of space, he does. I can tell it by the look in his eye and tone." She pauses grimly.

"If I hadn't raised Harvey right, then he would've been kicked out." Nana continues waving her hands in the air. "If you ever have children, y/n, don't teach them manners, or human decency, or else you might end up with a mad man in your house." She shakes her head sorrowfully.

You like this spunky version of Nana, and think you see a glimpse of her when she was your age.

"Then again, if you're not taught manners or human decency, you end up with a Michael." She nods to you, before going back to work. "At least he's building my fence."

You laugh, and jog back to the woods to grab more lumber.

Who do you want to talk to next?

I want to continue talking to people - go to 49
I don't want to talk to anyone else - go to 59