9. Amortentia

Garreth stood in Professor Sharp's Potions classroom during his free period. Why? Because Garreth had managed to blow up his cauldron as a result of one of his more...extreme creations.

Professor Sharp was so annoyed that he forced Garreth to endure 3 afternoon detentions, in which he was ordered to focus on perfecting his potion-making in regards to potions that he was supposed to have learned in class.

So, there Garreth stood, rolling his eyes as he stirred his Wiggenweld potion. He had a long list that Professor Sharp had written for him. He was supposed to make at least 3 of the potions on the list of at least 20 potions. So far, Garreth had made a Thunderbrew potion, and a Focus potion.

Halfway through making the Focus potion, Garreth almost fell asleep, not used to making such boring potions. It didn't help that Professor Sharp had warned him about the consequences of creating potions that weren't on the list.

This was unusual for Garreth. He wasn't the type of person to let the teachers win so easily. He loved getting in trouble if it meant his potions could be created.

When his Wiggenweld potion was completed, he transferred it into a clear vial, labelling it. He cleaned the borrowed cauldron and considered leaving, but then he stopped. He had technically completed the task that Professor Sharp had assigned him. He made 3 of the potions that he had been expected to complete in class. So that meant that his detention was over. For the next minute or so, he walked around the classroom, making sure that Professor Sharp wasn't around. Garreth had a sneaky plan.

Sebastian had made it very clear that he wasn't giving up on trying to win Y/N's love, and Garreth wasn't happy. He had a plan.

Was it smart to whip up a vile of Amortentia potion? Probably not.

But was Garreth going to do it anyway? Yes.

Gathering all the necessary ingredients to make the potion, Garreth took one final look around the classroom, ensuring to himself that he was completely alone.

As he started to put in the first few ingredients, Garreth chuckled, realising that Professor Sharp wasn't as smart as he claimed to be. Sure, he was a professor and sure, he was an excellent potions master, but was he really that smart if he left his entire inventory of ingredients exposed for any student within the classroom to use? Garreth had no issue finding Pearl Dust, which is one of the main ingredients found in the Amortentia potion, and a very rare ingredient due to it's price.

Sure enough, after a good 45 minutes, a weird aroma started to fill the classroom, and Garreth was worried that maybe Professor Sharp would walk by and catch a whiff of what he was making.

The smells that were wafting into his nose were unique; Freshly mowed grass, mallowsweet leaves and old books. He smiled, knowing precisely what those smells were referring to. Freshly mown grass referred to all those times that he'd stand in close proximity to Y/N after she'd spent the day walking through forests, or adventuring around the Hogwarts grounds. He'd often watch Y/N sneak into the Greenhouse to grow and stock up on Mallowsweet leaves. Whenever he wasn't chatting to Y/N, or asking her to get a special ingredient for one of his potions, he'd spot Y/N with a large book in her hand as she roamed the castle, walking in and out of classrooms, secret passageways and other locations within the grounds.

Garreth was so entranced with the potion that he was making and the smells that it was emitting, he didn't notice a Hufflepuff student standing near the entrance to the classroom.

"What's in the cauldron?" Her voice echoed through the room, scaring Garreth.

"Holy- For Merlin's sake, Poppy!" Garreth gasped, turning to face the girl.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you!" She exhaled, not intending to chuckle.

"It's fine. Just...got distracted by my work." Garreth shook his head.

"So. What Garreth Weasley concoction has graced the halls of Hogwarts this time?" Poppy chuckled, moving toward the ginger boy.

"Nothing special." He lied.

"I was in detention - thanks to Professor Sharp - and I was ordered to create 3 potions from the list of 20 potions that he wrote." Garreth rolled his eyes, holding up the list so that Poppy could see.

"Wow. That's a lot of potions." Poppy gasped.

"Yep. Lucky for me, I have two more detentions that will help me get through this very boring list." Garreth put the list down, picking up the Wiggenweld potion that he had made.

"Hold on, I'd recognise that baby-blue hue anywhere. You're making the Amortentia potion, and by the looks of it, you've done it perfectly." Poppy's gaze on the cauldron was curious. Sure, she was quite impressed that he had managed to make the worlds strongest love potion seemingly without a recipe, but she was unsure and quite curious as to why he had made it.

"What strikes me is the fact that the Amortentia potion isn't on the list given to you by Sharp. That leads me to my question. Why?" Poppy crossed her arms, eyeing the boy, who exhaled deeply.

"Oh, I was curious and wanted to know if I could make it...and I did. Yay me." Garreth smiled.

"Well, I'm impressed, Garreth. The Amortentia potion is the world's strongest love potion and it's incredibly difficult to make. Although, it's not surprising that you made it, considering the fact that you create and make different potions all the time." Poppy admitted.

"But, be careful. As I said, the Amortentia potion is the world's strongest love potion. Even the tiniest amount could do a lot of damage. If you're planning to win someone over, or planning to get your crush to like you, I suggest that you don't use the potion." Poppy warned, watching as Garreth nodded.

"I'll keep it safe and out of the wrong hands, I promise." Garreth nodded. He might have promised to Poppy that he wouldn't use it, but unbeknownst to her, behind his back, his fingers were crossed. He valued Sallow's defeat over Poppy's friendship. He cared more about the fact that Y/N could be his girlfriend and Sallow would lose, rather than the fact that he had lied to a friend of his.

"I'm glad." She smiled before turning to face the door, leaving Garreth alone in the classroom once again.

He transferred the finished potion into an empty vial, labelling it. The vial was full, meaning that this potion would last him for a long time, considering how strong one single drop could be if administered.

He stared at the baby-blue liquid inside the vial. He watched as it rested peacefully inside the vial, the Pearl Dust making the potion shimmer when held near light. It intrigued him. He wondered what one single drop could do. He knew it was powerful, hence why Professor Sharp had mentioned it, - many times - but never actually let any of his students make it. Right then, Garreth was tempted to administer one drop. He wanted to test the potion to 1. see how long it would last, and 2. see what exactly happened to the recipient of the potion.

The effects of the Amortentia potion were rumoured to be dangerous. People claimed that relationships were destroyed because of the potion. Professor Sharp had explained that the recipient of the potion would suddenly change their behaviour. Their breathing could become slow and deep, almost like the potion's fumes were filling them up - like a drink would fill up a glass.

But remembering what Poppy warned him about, he knew that she was right. It was a powerful and quite frankly, a dangerous potion. He didn't want to stoop to Sallow's level. He also knew how upset and Y/N would get if she ever found out what he had done.

That's when he stuffed the potion into his robe, intending to use it only if absolutely necessary. If all his other methods of winning Y/N over failed, then he'd use the Amortentia potion. Until that time came, he would keep the potion stashed away in his secret hiding place.