33. Malicious rumour

After breaking things off with Garreth, the energy in the Gryffindor common room - if not the entire castle - had changed. Most students looked at Y/N in disgust, disbelief or distaste. Others straight up glared at her. It was like they were shooting daggers at her with their eyes and it made Y/N extremely uncomfortable. Everyone had been so friendly toward her and so grateful for her service (defeating Ranrok), but now - for reasons she didn't know - everyone seemed to hate her.

She felt the same way a woman or man would if their partner was mad at them for an unknown reason. She tried to listen in and figure out why so many had turned against her, but she couldn't. The stares, glares and rude comments that people whispered around her made it difficult to stay in one place for too long. At that point, she felt more than grateful that she had access to two amazing secret locations within the castle. One was a safe haven where she could brew potions, grow plants and take care of magical creatures. The other was a place of isolation and quiet, where she could sit down and take some time for herself, surrounded by her two Slytherin friends.

Could she have just introduced them to the Room of Requirement? Maybe. But for now, the Room of Requirement had gone back to being a place that was only special to her. Hopefully Garreth had accepted her wishes and stayed away from the Room of Requirement. The last thing she needed or wanted was for him to be sneaking back there behind her back - or worse, him telling some of his friends about the place.

———

Y/N had sent a letter to Professor Weasley, explaining that she had suddenly started feeling ill. It was the only good excuse she could give as to why she hadn't attended any of her classes. Of course, Y/N expected for Professor Weasley to not entirely believe this excuse, but Y/N was willing to explain her white-lie if asked.

She sat in the Undercroft, her textbooks strewn around her as she utilised her wand for certain spells and wrote down notes. Hearing the metal squeak as it opened and closed, Y/N turned around, watching as Ominis and Sebastian walked into the Undercroft, Sebastian letting out a big exhale.

"Holy Merlin. I don't think I've ever felt so self-conscious in my entire life." Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows in shock, hearing a gasp escape Ominis' lips.

"Sebastian Sallow self-conscious? I never thought I'd hear the day." Ominis smirked. He was tempted to make a joke, but knew Sebastian wouldn't be in the mood, considering how quiet he had been during the trip to the Undercroft.

"What's made you so self-conscious?" Y/N asked, curious.

"Everyone kept staring at me, like I had done something wrong." Sebastian explained.

"Wait, people have been staring at you? Did they also whisper rude comments around you?" Y/N looked at Sebastian, who nodded.

"Yeah, exactly. Why?" Sebastian questioned.

"That's been happening to me too. They stare, glare and made rude comments about me." Y/N revealed, exhaling.

"That can't be a coincidence." Ominis shook his head, finding his way over to the couch.

"I thought that maybe Leander Prewett had started talking shit about me again." Sebastian rolled his eyes.

"There might be a better explanation." Ominis revealed.

"Okay?" Y/N nodded, waiting to hear this explanation.

"This morning, when I walked past the Charms classroom, I overheard someone talking to Adelaide Oakes. They said that they felt so sorry for Garreth about the breakup." Ominis started.

"Why would people feel sorry for him? He's the one who was letting Adelaide ruin our relationship." Y/N rolled her eyes.

"That's where it gets worse. Adelaide mentioned that Garreth told her that...he had found you snogging with Sebastian right before the breakup." Ominis finished talking.