24. All his fault

Sebastian didn't know how many classes he had skipped. He hadn't had any energy or motivation to get up and leave the Undercroft. It was probably very stupid of him to waste away in a secret room underneath the castle, considering the only people who knew about it weren't very happy with him. Y/N had broken up with him - rightfully so. Ominis had given up on trying to console his friend of 5 years, basically leaving 3 meals a day at the entrance to the Undercroft. As for Anne, she now refused to believe that she had a brother.

For the first time in weeks, Sebastian left the Undercroft, looking incredibly dishevelled. His robes and clothes were dirty and he looked like he hadn't showered in a very long time. Another noticeable aspect of Sebastian's appearance was the fact that his eyes were red and his cheeks were puffy. He had clearly been crying for and unspecified amount of time.

———

When he made it to his common room, he watched as a magic snake moved to reveal the entrance. He walked inside and made his way through the dark and quiet common room. Most of the other Slytherin Students were in their classes, but there were a few other 6th years and 7th years that had free periods. So there were around 3-4 people scattered around the entire common room. Some were studying, some were just chatting and some had decided to take an afternoon nap.

Sebastian spotted Ominis. He had a book (in braille) sitting on his lap. His fingers were lightly grazing the braille as he took in whatever the book was telling him.

"Welcome back, Sebastian. I genuinely believed that you would die down there." Ominis exhaled, shutting his book.

"You left me 3 meals a day. If I could die by smelling bad, maybe, but apart from that, you kept me very much alive, Ominis." Sebastian rolled his eyes, sitting down next to his blond-haired friend.

"What do you want, Sebastian?" Ominis questioned, confused.

"I just want my friend back. We haven't had a full conversation in weeks." Sebastian sighed.

"Just remember Sebastian, you pushed me away, not the other way around." Ominis reminded Sebastian, who scoffed.

"A letter for Ominis." One of the 7th years walked over to Ominis and Sebastian, handing the letter to him.

"Ooh. I wonder who sent it." Sebastian chuckled, watching as Ominis opened the letter.

"It's in braille." Ominis smiled, grazing his fingers over the braille as he read.

"What does it say?" Sebastian asked, curious.

"I- I don't think I can say." Ominis immediately stopped reading it, folding it back up before placing it back in the envelope. He stuffed it in between the pages of the book in his lap.

"C'mon, Ominis. Just tell me." Sebastian rolled his eyes. Ominis could tell that Sebastian was very adamant on knowing. He exhaled, pulling it back out. Taking it out of the envelope and unfolding it, Ominis put his fingers over the braille, beginning to read.

"Dear Ominis, I know that it's been a while since we talked. My anger is with Sebastian, not with you. I shouldn't have ignored you like I've ignored him. Please accept that I want some space. I'm not exactly sure when my anger will subside, but until then, I'll send you letters. I'll let you know how I'm doing. Also, Garreth says hello. He knows what happened and he knows that I'll still remain your friend." Ominis read.

"Hold up, Garreth?! Y/N's moved on to Garreth?!" Sebastian clenched his fists, angry.

"She hasn't moved on to Garreth, she's moved on with Garreth. There's a difference, Sebastian." Ominis rolled his eyes.

"Still! My stupidity, my idiocy, my foolishness...I forced her away." Sebastian released his fists, exhaling.

"So you've stopped pitying yourself and finally started to understand that you're the one at fault, not Y/N." Ominis chuckled.

"Oh shut up, Ominis." Sebastian nudged Ominis' shoulder.

"I'm just pointing out the obvious, Sebastian. You lied to Y/N, for months, about your real relationship with her before she lost her memories. Instead of just admitting to her what you did at the start, and having her create the clean slate, you lied to her and made her think that you were a good person. Your lie was bound to be discovered sooner or later." Ominis exhaled, trying to make Sebastian understand.

"You're telling me that if I had just told her the truth when she returned, I could've avoided all of the heartbreak?" Sebastian questioned.

"In a way, yes. It's your own fault for how things turned out. I mean, she may have never agreed to be your girlfriend for the second time, but at least she knew the truth, and you both could have actually started with a clean slate, not a clean slated built on lies." Ominis nodded.

"H- Have I lost her forever?" Sebastian leaned back, concerned.

"I'm not entirely sure, Sebastian. Her threat seemed genuine. I'd wait a while." Ominis warned.

"A while? How long is a while, Ominis? I can't speak to her for the rest of this year and the whole of next year. Once next year is over, I might never see her again!" Sebastian exhaled.

"Just wait it out, Sebastian. Who knows? Maybe she'll change her mind halfway through next year, or she'll finally forgive you." Ominis smiled.

"I highly doubt that, but I appreciate your enthusiasm." Sebastian rolled his eyes.