25. Mixed feelings

A rumour was going around that Professor Sharp was going to be brewing the Amortentia potion in the 6th year's final Potions class. Someone confirmed it, explaining that he is only brewing it so that students are prepared for the topic next year.

Sebastian was not at all excited for this class. It brought up past experiences that he hoped would stay buried in the depths of his mind. Yet, he walked into Potions class, his books in hand as he went to go and sit in front of his cauldron, next to Ominis. He rolled his eyes when he glanced over to the door, watching as Garreth and Y/N walked into the class, their hands intertwined.

As for Y/N and Garreth, they walked over to their cauldrons, ready for whatever type of class was in store.

"Everyone stand at my desk, now." Professor Sharp exhaled, watching as everyone stood up, wandering over to the desk.

"Chins up. I have a...special class in store for you all. Actually, it really isn't special, since I do it every year." Sharp rolled his eyes.

"For 25 house points, can anyone tell me what Amortentia is?" Sharp placed his hands behind his back, waiting for someone to speak up.

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in existence. It causes a powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker. It has a distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from it in characteristic spirals." Sebastian clenched his jaw, glaring at Garreth.

"Well done Mr. Sa-" Before Sharp could continue, Sebastian continued, not finished his hidden attack against Garreth.

"-Amortentia is considered an incredibly dangerous potion, as one should never underestimate obsessive infatuation." Sebastian finished.

"25 points to Slytherin." Sharp exhaled.

"As Mr. Sallow explained, Amortentia is the wizarding world's most dangerous love potion. It causes an intense - and possibly dangerous - infatuation that must never be taken lightly." Sharp exhaled.

"But, here is what many do not understand. As much as Amortentia seems to be the solution for troubles regarding love, it is not. Contrary to popular belief, Amortentia cannot create actual love. It is impossible to manufacture or imitate love. The potion only makes the drinker infatuated or obsessed." Sharp warned.

"And yes, that does mean that brewing it - which is strictly prohibited - and giving it to your crush will not get them to fall in love with you. They'll be infatuated or obsessed for around 24 hours, before it wears off and they don't remember anything." Sharp chuckled, watching many faces drop in disappointment.

"Yes, Mr. Sallow?" Professor Sharp saw Sebastian's hand rise.

"What would be the punishment if a student was caught brewing Amortentia?" Sebastian questioned. Garreth's face dropped, clearly worried that Sebastian might say something.

"Well, punishments have changed over the years, but currently, the punishment for being caught brewing Amortentia is...a week's worth of detention, as well as 150 points being taken from the student's house. Be grateful that the punishment nowadays is light. In previous years, students were immediately failed in their Potions class and suspensions were given." Professor Sharp explained.

"Now, as I have done every year, I will be brewing the potion, demonstrating its look, its scent, and how complex the potion is to brew." Professor Sharp sighed, getting ready.

The entire class watched as Professor Sharp began brewing the potion. Of course, since Ominis couldn't see, he read the instructions, which had been printed in braille for him.

———

"Now, as you can all probably smell, the potion is coming along. It needs a few more minutes to brew, but would anyone like to tell the class what they smell?" Professor Sharp asked.

The class fell silent, much to Professor Sharp's enjoyment.

"Okay, I'll give 15 house points to the first person who tells us what they smell." Even offering house points didn't seem to get them to talk, much to Professor Sharp's confusion.

"Fine. If you won't pick, I will. Mr. Sallow. Please inform the class as to what you smell." Professor Sharp exhaled, watching as Sebastian shook his head, leaning closer to the large cauldron. He took in a decent whiff, before standing back in his spot, giving himself a moment to pick out the smells.

"I smell...Ember, like the Ember Dash Broom, Dittany leaves...specifically in Wiggenweld potion and..." Sebastian too another whiff of the potion.

"...Sherbet lemon drops." Sebastian smiled.

Each of those smells were somehow related to her and she knew it. She looked at him with pain in her eyes. Even when she hated him, he still loved her.

Y/N leaned forward and took let the smells waft into her nose. Her brain instantly recognised the smells and where they came from. Peony flowers were the type of flower that Sebastian always picked for his sister Anne whenever he was visiting her in Feldcroft. Ivory paper is the type of paper that Sebastian used to write his letters to Y/N and Anne, not settling for any other type. Milk chocolate is what Sebastian had used a few times to create his sister's amazing hot chocolate.

"Y/N?" She heard her name, coming from Sharp.

"Hm?" Y/N snapped out of her thoughts.

"Would you like to tell the class what you smell?" Professor Sharp looked at Y/N with curiosity. She clearly had taken a whiff, and was now thinking about the scents she had smelt.

Y/N couldn't tell the truth. The truth was, Y/N smelt scents that were related to Sebastian, her love for him still lively, but buried deep down in her heart. In a way, Sebastian would always be her first love, but he hurt her, so she had to move on.

"I smell Billywig stings...from Honeydukes, Fwooper feathers, and Sweets." Y/N smiled, blushing when Garreth intertwined his fingers with hers, making sure to keep their PDA limited near Professor Sharp, who wasn't keen when it came to students dating.

Y/N glanced over to Sebastian, who seemed absolutely devastated by the scents that Y/N smelt, realising that they referred to Garreth.

If only he knew. Y/N thought to herself.